Okay, so as far as I understand it the OSVR team have been pushing for this for a while now... But still, it's good to see the major players taking it more seriously. We are quickly moving from the "everything is experimental" phase to the "people expect a relatively consistent experience" phase of consumer adoption in VR. Having a base set of standards that hardware meets is a big step, both for consumers and developers.

Wired: Google, HTC and Oculus team-up to create VR industry standards
    Chemy JMHT and VirtuaTyKing like this.
    12-09-2016 02:13 PM
    Hopefully Microsoft gets in on this too. They've got some really exciting things in VR coming in 2017.
    EgoAnt likes this.
    12-09-2016 02:49 PM
    I am excited about this; hopefully this will make it a lot easier on developers to support multiple systems more easily.
    EgoAnt likes this.
    12-10-2016 09:59 AM
    I knew this going to happen and I think it's the right step to do.

From their press release, they announced:
    The goal of the Global Virtual Reality Association will promote responsible development and adoption of VR globally. Association’s members will develop and share best practices, conduct research, and bring the international VR community together as the technology progresses. The group will also serve a resource for consumers, policymakers, and industry interested in VR.

Image source: GVRA
    12-10-2016 10:50 PM
    Interesting. As someone looking to get involved in making VR titles, I'm curious to see what the best practices end up being. I know it's hard to find best practice information at present, so anything to make it easier is good.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    12-13-2016 04:47 PM
    Well what would be really good is if they develop like a common SDK system like OpenGL of sorts. That would help definitely with development.
    12-13-2016 07:27 PM
    Interesting. As someone looking to get involved in making VR titles, I'm curious to see what the best practices end up being. I know it's hard to find best practice information at present, so anything to make it easier is good.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    I only hope they make standards, that way in a short period of time if you develop something for VR (game or device) it better be compatible with those standards and then it's easy to get more content for all devices, so you will only need to decide which one you want instead of having all in order to enjoy the most of it.
    12-13-2016 09:20 PM
    I only hope they make standards, that way in a short period of time if you develop something for VR (game or device) it better be compatible with those standards and then it's easy to get more content for all devices, so you will only need to decide which one you want instead of having all in order to enjoy the most of it.
    The trick is going to be developing standard to which to follow but still allow for the quick innovation we will likely be having in the VR technology world without the standard becoming a hinderance.
    12-14-2016 07:03 AM