Hey VRHeads fans!

I came across an article by Time. They had a chance to talk to Sony's Global Sales Chief Jim Ryan and Shawn Layden of Global Game Development.

Some interesting things I saw from the article:

Sales

1) For every five PlayStation 4 sold, one of them is a PlayStation 4 Pro.

To me, this is a bit of interesting info as I would have though the PS4 Pro would have sold a bit more. I guess the extra graphics power isn't attracting people as much.

2) In North America, PlayStation 4 outsells Xbox One 2-to-1.

I know we've been hearing it a lot how the PS4 is seeling more units then Microsoft's Xbox One. Seeing this ratio seems that the sales are starting to slow down a tad for PS4 units. Maybe the tide will turn come "Project Scorpio"?

3) In Europe, PlayStation 4 outsells Xbox One 3-to-1.

This one was a surprise. Seems in Europe, they like the PS4 a tad more then here in North America. To our fellow VR Heads fans in Europe, if this is in deed the case, what makes the PS4 more appealing than the Xbox One?

Development

1) Sony still views the Vita as a viable development platform.

Uh...two words: Nintendo Switch :P

Joke aside, this comment from Layden caught me as being interesting. I remember owning a PS Vita not long ago. Though I did enjoy the unit, the game select didn't appeal to me. With mobile games on phones/tables becoming popular and with Nintendo's Switch, I though the Vita was dead in the water. If in deed Sony things the Vita line is viable, maybe we will see a new Vita in the future?

2) PSVR non-gaming possibilities

Non-gaming VR content on a PSVR you say? Well VR isn't just for gaming but media content as well. Any Walter White fans? If so, then you will be happy to know that:

Producer Vince Gilligan is teaming up with Sony to work on a Breaking Bad virtual reality project for PlayStation VR

More info about the Breaking Bad Project found in this Article

4) Push PSVR as far as the market will bear.

Seems they will stick with the current for a bit longer. But they are aware that technology changes quickly. When the time is right, they are looking at either making a lighter version of a wireless version of the PSVR. I say both!

I am positive the second generation of the big three (PSVR, Vive, Rift) will be getting a true wireless treatment (sans accessories) in the future. Time will tell if they will be able to succeed or not. Some current wireless tech of today I am sure can help with that
    pkcable and Firegold21 like this.
    06-06-2017 11:02 PM
    Nice interview or Q/A

BTW I read some days ago that the PSVR reached 1 million unit sold, so that's a good number I think
    06-08-2017 10:43 PM
    Nice interview or Q/A

BTW I read some days ago that the PSVR reached 1 million unit sold, so that's a good number I think
    I as well. Hopefully we will hear a bit of PSVR news or other VR offerings during E3.
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    06-09-2017 10:10 PM
    Yeah 1 Million units for the PSVR sounds good but to put this in perspective 60 million PS4 units were sold.
    07-01-2017 01:19 PM
    Getting PSVR to catch on is really going to stick with those AAA titles. Things like Farpoint are excellent, but I think there is going to be a huge jump when Fallout 4 VR and Skyrim VR release because people know precisely what they're getting into. Once people can see what VR is capable of they'll start to buy in.

But I think PSVR is going to continue to deliver an excellent experience and gain fains at a steady pace.
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    07-11-2017 01:08 AM
    It can be worrying in a few years when Sony is ready to release a new console. They may launch with VR as an option, or possibly force us into it like Microsoft did with the kinect at launch. Hopefully it is the former, but I also hope it is still the more affordable option over what Facebook and HTC will be offering in the future.
    07-12-2017 03:46 PM
    Well let see what happens right now, with that promotional price for the Rift at $399 with the Touch controllers, that's more or less the price of the basic bundle for the PSVR, but one thing I feel about it is, it doesn't need to be the best and more powerful HMD and experience to be perfect for VR.
    07-15-2017 06:50 PM
    Well let see what happens right now, with that promotional price for the Rift at $399 with the Touch controllers, that's more or less the price of the basic bundle for the PSVR, but one thing I feel about it is, it doesn't need to be the best and more powerful HMD and experience to be perfect for VR.
    Yeah that price drop for Rift is a big deal for anyone who doesn't already have both a PS4 and pc. Can spend a bit more moola on a decent PC and have what I'd say is a more complete VR experience.
    07-16-2017 10:31 AM
    I think a new PSVR unit has to be wireless. I've never used one but I don't want to be tethered if playing from a console. Also, with the Rift's new price (have a feeling this will be the new price for quite some time), PSVR is looking a bit on the expensive side.
    the_moesiah likes this.
    07-17-2017 01:33 AM
    i think that people for now are just curious about AR/VR. so people are not buying VR/AR headsets in masses. furthermore, there are not many games out there for VR/AR headsets. the headsets are also not very price friendly. so, i think that VR/AR is not very attractive feature yet. i think that PS should wait a bit till the techology gets a bit more mature and then relase a new console that is more capable with VR. PS has released the VR headset just to have the technology ready for .... in case of something
    07-20-2017 05:14 PM
    Nice interview or Q/A

I agree. But I wish there was more content already. It´s been a while now...
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    07-24-2017 02:30 PM
    I agree. But I wish there was more content already. It´s been a while now...
    Yes, looks like a few VR markets were stopped somehow!
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    07-25-2017 05:52 AM
    Unfortunately the. PSVR is limited by even the Ps4 Pro hardware. Hopefully Sony will stay in VR, and the Ps5, and next generation headset will get a massive upgrade.
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    07-26-2017 05:21 AM
    Unfortunately the. PSVR is limited by even the Ps4 Pro hardware. Hopefully Sony will stay in VR, and the Ps5, and next generation headset will get a massive upgrade.
    Well the rumour says that the PS5 will come in two years so maybe not really a good chances on that matter.

I think what can really turn the game to us is an option to play everything in real 3D (not 2D in a flat screen but stereoscopic 3D) all the previous titles already available.
    07-27-2017 10:18 PM
    2-3 years seems to be the cycle period between Vr generations. So that's when I would expect sonys next Vr headset.
    07-28-2017 05:39 AM
    I Wonder when the consoles will fall, and there`ll only be PC`s
    07-29-2017 10:34 PM
    Not going to happen. Casual gamers are always going to prefer consoles compared to PC's.
    07-30-2017 05:37 AM
    Yes, I think maybe the next gen will be a VR/AR headset and the content will be a lot more than now, also the marketing for those products will be more clear and easy to swallow for the regular consumers, right now a lot of people still don't know a single thing about Vr or AR.
    07-30-2017 08:59 PM
    Consoles are a good market to target, but honestly I think they need to make their stuff officially available on the PC. I would be way more willing to consider it if the hardware was flexible, and similar goes for developers, other users, and so on.
    07-31-2017 05:58 AM
    A high spec, low priced console Vr headset would do more for the mass adoption of consumer Vr, than any comparable PC headset would.

Just look at the sales sucess of the PSVR compared to Rift and Vive.
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    07-31-2017 06:07 AM
    Maybe then the all in one VR headsets could do more, right now are simply some cardboard like headsets, but if the new all-in-one ViVE is as good as expected it could make a huge change in the market.
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    08-06-2017 06:09 PM