Just a thought. Could the future of cinema be: wearing VR headset, theaters only provide the surround sound system?
    What do you think? Would you like it?
    10-24-2016 03:00 AM
    Just a thought. Could the future of cinema be: wearing VR headset, theaters only provide the surround sound system?
    What do you think? Would you like it?
    Who know's what the future holds. I think it would need a little AR thrown in for good measure so I could grab my popcorn though.
    10-24-2016 09:32 AM
    This particular idea could be a whole new region of entertainment, and could have different contents catering to it, rather than completely replacing cinema movies. This, I feel, will be focusing more on the experience itself rather than the storyline which regular movies do, as it is simply too troublesome to look for where the most exciting things are happening in 360 degrees every time it changes a scene.
    VirtuaTyKing likes this.
    10-24-2016 09:59 AM
    As TV's have grown in size and dropped in prices, more and more movie theaters are having to find new and creative ways to draw crowds. I'm not sure if this is the way things will go though. How are teenagers supposed to get all touchy feely with all that headgear on? Lol.
    10-24-2016 10:21 AM
    I personally feel that until 3D movies are the standard options (with 2D being left for those who, due to eyesight issues, can't appreciate 3D), we won't see 360. 360 requires powered headsets with data connections to the server, even if it doesn't require uplinks. Once the infrastructure is in place for that, we will move into VR with interactivity.

The problem is, current cinemas are not suitable for 360 video/VR. Probably what will happen is that VR cinemas (actually 360 cinemas) will emerge with small single person booths using chairs that can rotate. Expect the industry to dig it's heels at this innovation though. If current projection rooms are repurposed for this, then it won't be true 360 video, just 180 to 270, with the action always centered in the middle, and just enough extra so you don't feel enclosed in.
    10-24-2016 02:04 PM
    I think AR combined with a large open space or stage would be a better communal entertainment experience.
    10-26-2016 10:12 PM
    I think it would be awesome
    10-27-2016 12:30 AM