Where can I buy fresnel lenses to make my own VR headset? In optics store? Where they sell eyeglasses?
    Can fresnel lenses be crafted for myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism?
    10-31-2016 10:05 AM
    10-31-2016 10:46 AM
    This site cant be reached
    11-01-2016 09:17 AM
    Most of what I see are thin sheets of fresnel panels, and I don't think those will be what you need.
    11-02-2016 09:08 AM
    Not even the cheapest google cardboard knockoff I've seen uses Fresnel lenses, I would think you would get a lot of distortion, especially at the periphery.. I typically see recommended for diy cardboard headsets is a 5x bi-convex lens. Scavenging a lenses out of a couple of these should do nicely.

Edit, This is a slightly larger diameter, slightly longer focal length glass lens for quite a bit cheaper, but you would have to tweek the headset design a bit.
    pkcable and LezCronut like this.
    11-02-2016 09:09 AM
    Not even the cheapest google cardboard knockoff I've seen uses Fresnel lenses, I would think you would get a lot of distortion, especially at the periphery.. I typically see recommended for diy cardboard headsets is a 5x bi-convex lens. Scavenging a lenses out of a couple of these should do nicely.

Edit, This is a slightly larger diameter, slightly longer focal length glass lens for quite a bit cheaper, but you would have to tweek the headset design a bit.
    I would expect poor image quality and chromatic aberrations with a fresnel lens. The only advantage is they're thin compared to a standard optic lens. Most applications using fresnel lenses would be solar collection or light projection (for uniform light distribution) since these don't require high quality image reproduction.
    pkcable likes this.
    11-02-2016 09:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD