I just stumbled on Freeflight VR, a VR headset for smartphones unlike any of them I have seen so far, the design looks to be more effective and it includes a Glide Blue Tooth Wireless Controller that works with most Android smart phones, apparently most Iphone games are mostly controlled in-app, I did not know that, did you?
    To quote their web site "Once you get in a comfortable position, though, the FreeFly VR is pretty amazing. It's very comfortable even during long sessions and the sense of immersion that wide field of view provides is remarkable"
    The price is around $69 compared to the VR Gear price tag of around $75 and the two are quite different from each other and does the VR Gear have a controller? Anyway you can find out more at the source link below, so let me know what you think, do you have one, would you buy one?

Source: FreeFlyVR https://www.freeflyvr.com/
    Last edited by Sim_8_3; 09-16-2016 at 10:41 PM.
    09-16-2016 10:28 PM
    No, Gear VR does not include a controller. The big reason that I have a Gear is Oculus. The apps for the Gear VR use a extremely similar API set to the Rift, so the quality is much better.

My first impression of this system is a rehashed Cardboard experience, but I won't know for sure unless I see their app store.
    09-16-2016 10:50 PM
    Maybe the only need to sell the Bluetooth controller and the software to handle it in order to try it, could be an option, because looks like the Homido but heavier and more expensive
    09-17-2016 12:50 AM
    No, Gear VR does not include a controller. The big reason that I have a Gear is Oculus. The apps for the Gear VR use a extremely similar API set to the Rift, so the quality is much better.

My first impression of this system is a rehashed Cardboard experience, but I won't know for sure unless I see their app store.
    So then do you mean you interact with the Gear VR the same way you do with the Oculus Rift? Can the Gear VR use wireless controllers or is it all in-ap?
    Thanks
    09-17-2016 05:06 PM
    Maybe the only need to sell the Bluetooth controller and the software to handle it in order to try it, could be an option, because looks like the Homido but heavier and more expensive
    But does the Gear VR have Blue Tooth capability?
    09-17-2016 05:07 PM
    But does the Gear VR have Blue Tooth capability?
    The phone has Bluetooth, remember a Gear VR is more or less a housing for a smartphone.
    09-17-2016 06:21 PM
    The phone has Bluetooth, remember a Gear VR is more or less a housing for a smartphone.
    I can't believe I didn't realize it's in the phone and not the headset, talk about your duh moments! So I guess you can use any Bluetooth controller then.
    09-18-2016 02:25 AM
    Yes, you can use bluetooth gamepad with Gear VR, that's what I use regularly and some games actually require one.
    09-18-2016 03:08 PM
    This hardware may be great, but what about content?

I just made a new post about this very topic:

http://forums.vrheads.com/vr-news-di...eds-stop-8529/
    the_moesiah likes this.
    09-18-2016 03:33 PM
    To be honest, that video reminded of some ****ty 90's sci-fi movie. And like BioFanatic said, content is everything. They might have a few quality games now but who is supporting them in the future?
    BioFanatic likes this.
    09-18-2016 03:38 PM
    This hardware may be great, but what about content?

I just made a new post about this very topic:

http://forums.vrheads.com/vr-news-di...eds-stop-8529/
    I think you are a little bit confused, everything made for Gear VR will be compatible, it's just a cardboard made of plastic, the control is just a Bluetooth HID device which is compatible with any phone with Bluetooth 2.0 so the content will be the same for that than for an original Google cardboard.
    09-18-2016 07:38 PM
    I think you are a little bit confused, everything made for Gear VR will be compatible, it's just a cardboard made of plastic, the control is just a Bluetooth HID device which is compatible with any phone with Bluetooth 2.0 so the content will be the same for that than for an original Google cardboard.
    The Gear VR is NOT simply a Google Cardboard headset.

Gear VR content will NOT work on these headsets.

The Gear VR is not just a plastic case, it has gyroscopes and other sensors built into the headset, it doesn't simply rely on the phone sensors.

Gear VR has its own exclusive content and store that is NOT compatible with these cheap headsets. The store is powered by Oculus.
    09-18-2016 08:12 PM
    Yes but most of the VR content for the "Android" you can find in Play Store is compatible among this devices.

I own a Rift and even when Oculus has a store, Steam have I think more to offer for the Rift than the Oculus itself right now, same with the Gear VR, I think (I might be wrong of course) more of the VR content for Gear VR is just in the Play Store.
    09-18-2016 09:43 PM
    Yes but most of the VR content for the "Android" you can find in Play Store is compatible among this devices.

I own a Rift and even when Oculus has a store, Steam have I think more to offer for the Rift than the Oculus itself right now, same with the Gear VR, I think (I might be wrong of course) more of the VR content for Gear VR is just in the Play Store.
    Once again, no. Gear VR content is exclusive. It does not run on anything buy Gear VR.

It's a completely different thing that just happens to run on an android phone, which can also be used for Cardboard.

Gear VR games are NOT on the Google Play Store. They have their own store that has nothing to do with Google.
    09-19-2016 02:21 PM
    Once again, no. Gear VR content is exclusive. It does not run on anything buy Gear VR.

It's a completely different thing that just happens to run on an android phone, which can also be used for Cardboard.

Gear VR games are NOT on the Google Play Store. They have their own store that has nothing to do with Google.
    I honestly didn't know, I saw one of the first gen Gear VR and looks like just a specializaed for Samsung Cardboard, but now you totally defeated me just because they added more precise sensors than the ones that the phone has.

I found Gear VR has this additional sensors:
    • Custom sensors built into the headset itself that far exceed the quality of smartphone onboard sensors
    • Asynchronous timewarp meaning you get full rotational 60FPS at all times, guaranteed (and lowers latency)
    • A proximity sensor between the lenses so it waits for it to be on your head to begin (and when you take it off, it pauses)

Of course also has the external controls and other stuff.

It's nice to be corrected when you learn, thanks!
    BioFanatic likes this.
    09-19-2016 10:24 PM
    Let me see if I understand the Gear VR which works with Samsung Galaxy phones that run Android, that mostly use Android aps found in the Google Play Store has it's own exclusive content? My next question is what do you download it from a special Oculus site? Could you lay this out a little more explanatory for us? Oh and one thing I understand that sets the Gear VR apart from the other headsets is that the phone connects to a connector on the Gear Vr, through it's data port, can you verify that? Also from I have read it's only compatible with the Note 4, the developer version I think SM-R322 worked with Galaxy s5 versions etc.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Sim_8_3; 09-21-2016 at 02:11 AM.
    09-20-2016 11:48 PM
    I think this page may she some light on the subject The 15 best Samsung Gear VR games and apps | Stuff
    09-20-2016 11:50 PM
    Let me see if I understand the Gear VR which works with Samsung Galaxy phones that run Android, that mostly use Android aps found in the Google Play Store has it's own exclusive content? My next question is what do you download it from a special Oculus site? Could you lay this out a little more explanatory for us? Oh and one thing I understand that sets the Gear VR apart from the other headsets is that the phone connects to a connector on the Gear Vr, through it's data port, can you verify that? Also from I have read it's only compatible with the Note 4, the developer version I think SM-R322 worked with Galaxy s5 versions etc.
    Thanks
    WHO IS BEHIND THE GEAR VR?
    The hardware is designed and made by Samsung.
    The software end is handled by Oculus, but obviously allows for 3rd party games and apps, etc.

Ok, here we go, haha.

GEAR VR HARDWARE
    -The Gear VR is not just a "headset" that uses your phone's internal sensors in the way that Google Cardboard headsets do. The Gear VR has additional hardware sensors that remove all noticeable latency. It's a class above cardboard headsets.
    -The Gear VR is compatible with various Samsung phones, but that depends on which version of the Gear VR that you own.
    ---The current NEW Gear VR is compatible with the S6, S6 Edge, S6 Edge+, S7, S7 Edge, Note 5, Note 7 (and maybe...? the Note 4?). This is thanks to an interchangeable connector on this version that lets you connect to either USB-C or microUSB.
    ---The previous model, known as the first consumer edition, is compatible with the same above, with the exception of the Note 7, because it has a USB-C port, not a microUSB.
    ---Prior to the first consumer edition, there we other versons such as the Innovator edition. If I remember correctly, there were different versions for different phones. There was one for the S6 and I believe one for the Note 4, but I can't recall for sure.
    ---Note that some newer games/apps are not compatible with older phones. I believe the Note 4 is the only not getting support for some titles, the rest seem to be safe for now.

INPUT DEVICES
    -Unlike the Google Cardboard that only has one button and requires you to remove your darn phone every time you need to do more, The Gear VR has a built-in touchpad on the side, as well as a "back" button. The touch pad allows for different control options such as tap, hold, and swiping in different directons. The back button can be a pause button in apps/games if the developer wants it to be, and if you hold it down, it brings up the Oculus Menu, which allows you to do things like toggle Bluetooth, Wifi, reorient your headset, take screenshots, record video of your gameplay, see phone notifications, etc.
    -In addition to the touchpad and back button built right in, the Gear VR is also compatible with Bluetooth gamepads. Many developers will make content that can be used with just the touchpad, but many of those are ALSO compatible with the gamepad for those that have one, as long as the developer chooses to do so. Some games actually REQUIRE you to use a gamepad, as the touchpad controls can be too limiting for some games that require many buttons.

GEAR VR SOFTWARE
    -Again, this is NOT a Cardboard headset, and Gear VR apps and games are not available on the Google Play Store.
    -Because Gear VR has built in sensors, it is much more capable. As such, the content has the potential to be of much higher quality.
    -The Gear VR has its OWN STORE: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/gear-vr/
    -This exclusive Gear VR store can be accessed from your Gear VR-compatible phone 2 ways*:
    --- 1) When using the phone in the headset, you can view the store in the VR world.
    --- 2) There is also an Oculus app that gets installed on your phone the first time you plug it into the Gear VR headset (using the port on the bottom of your phone). That app has the full store on it, and you can access it without wearing the headset at all. For example, while at work without my headset, I can still look at the Oculus app on my phone and purchase content.
    --- *There is technically a third way to access. You can use the browser on your phone to browse and purchase, but you'll need to use one of the other 2 methods to install.

If you want to learn all about the Gear VR, you can find their main website here: https://www3.oculus.com/en-us/gear-vr/
    09-21-2016 02:17 PM
    Thanks Bio, that was very helpful, one of the things I cant' say I like about the Note 4 is the fact that the battery unlike previous Galaxy versions is easily replaceable, it's like the Iphone, the phone has to be taken apart to replace it, but I guess it's a trade off if you want to be able to use the Gear VR, Gear VR does seem like it's closer to Rift than your average VR Headset, that's for sure!
    BioFanatic likes this.
    09-21-2016 11:50 PM
    Getting back on topic, does anyone know anything about Freefly?
    09-22-2016 09:54 AM
    Getting back on topic, does anyone know anything about Freefly?
    It does look like the topic took a detour into the world of GearVR, I too would like to hear from anyone who may have tried the FreeFly as I won't be able to afford a GearVR phone anytime soon and I'm not sure I want one considering all those are the type the battery connects to the motherboard, maybe an older GearVR that will work with the S5.
    the_moesiah likes this.
    09-22-2016 08:57 PM