While I can't wait to try out all the VR games there is one feature that I've seen in several of them that is really off-putting - 'flying' hands and no body.

This is supposed to be an immersive experience .. but I have no arms, or anything else. In the Batman game on PSVR, for example, you can look at your Batman reflection, see his head turn as yours does .. then look down and see flying hands.

In regular games we have seen arms and legs animated. In Mirror's Edge we see Faith's body as we run and jump across buildings - - so why isn't our avatar body visible in the VR games? Is it just because of the limitations of the equipment and we'll have to wait for the next gen before we can look down and see see our virtual arms and legs?
    10-10-2016 10:30 AM
    The best answer I've seen for this so far is Raw Data. The whole arm is rendered, and it looks nice.

I think most developers are rendering hands because it's easier. Rendering the whole arm and making it look natural is complicated, but I think it'll be the standard before too long.
    ricdjs likes this.
    10-10-2016 11:38 AM
    Was going to mention Raw Data but Russell beat me. The first time I saw the arms attached the the hands was something special.
    10-11-2016 07:06 PM
    It would help with the immersion but for me it doesn't matter. Current VR can imitate parts of reality well but I see it more as being transported to an alternate reality/another dimension. A videogame reality. It's hard to explain.

I'm curious as to what happens If you leave your controller away from you in Rawdata. Do you get Mr Fantastic arms just for kicks?
    10-12-2016 04:13 AM
    It would help with the immersion but for me it doesn't matter. Current VR can imitate parts of reality well but I see it more as being transported to an alternate reality/another dimension. A videogame reality. It's hard to explain.

I'm curious as to what happens If you leave your controller away from you in Rawdata. Do you get Mr Fantastic arms just for kicks?
    Nah - if I recall correctly (weird how you sometimes can't imagine something you've seen so many times) they just float from about the elbow or bicep down.
    10-12-2016 06:25 PM