I watched the Facebook keynote today and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the direction they are moving. Here are some of the take-aways:
    1. FB is focusing on mobile AR without any additional technologies like HoloLens or Tango for now
    2. FB is launching an AR platform for their messaging app called AR Studio, it will allow artists and developers to create some pretty awesome effects
    3. They are committed to bringing social to VR - and are launching a new experience for this
    4. GameRoom, their Steam competitor, continues to be a focus for them

I'm pretty excited about what they have to offer, and the AR effects they were showing were pretty amazing, especially their algorithms to recognize 3D space using a single camera.

This was one cool example:
    Facebook's F8 announcements today!-3dmapping.jpg
    04-18-2017 07:57 PM
    Wow! That's pretty exciting. I saw this mentioned briefly on the news, I wish I knew about it before so I could've watched it live. IMO gameroom is no where close to competing with steam currently.. maybe this will change that.
    04-19-2017 09:04 AM
    I was really impressed with the AR/VR stuff!

I know Facebook Spaces is basically in beta, but I really hope it makes it's way to the Gear VR as well (currently just Rift). Cross-platform would be ideal!
    EgoAnt likes this.
    04-19-2017 10:28 AM
    Thanks for the info. This seems very promising.
    EgoAnt likes this.
    04-19-2017 11:06 AM
    Thanks for sharing this, @EgoAnt! I'd been meaning to check this out, but haven't had a chance yet. Very busy day for me; work followed by running my wife around picking up various scripts at four different pharmacies, lol.

I hope this comes to the Gear VR as well; that would indeed be awesome.
    EgoAnt likes this.
    04-19-2017 09:24 PM
    This is one of the more promising advancement in vr world.
    EgoAnt likes this.
    04-19-2017 09:44 PM
    Reality capture and other technologies that bring VR/AR closer to the real world are opportunities. As fidelity increases and more use cases for VR/AR are discovered, we will want the virtual world to resemble the real world more and more. As a result, there will be a need to increase graphic fidelity, bring real world objects into the virtual world, and create more seamless ways of interacting with virtual objects.
    04-21-2017 02:59 PM
    I just posted about the cameras they "released" which I think will be a little bit too expensive and for a pro level of video and photo.
    04-24-2017 10:19 PM