The dream of VR is to create truly immersive environments, which look and feel so realistic that youre almost fooled into thinking you are right there in them as opposed to in your bedroom, wearing a slightly goofy headset.

One roadblock in achieving this goal, however, is the fact that many current virtual reality headsets only offer a 110-degree field of vision. What this means is that, instead of viewing things the way we do in real life, VR headsets like Oculus and HTC display black edges along the bilateral part of your vision.

This is where new Kickstarter project EyeForce hopes to beat the established giants by doubling your available FOV.

When you put on an Oculus headset or an HTC Vive, you can see the black borders around the edge of the picture, creator Li Zheng told Digital Trends. EyeForce is different. It has 210-degree of field of vision and 3,840-by-1,080 resolution. This lets you see things in your peripheral vision and react to them faster. Its very noticeable, for example, in a driving simulation where you are aware of what is happening all around you. There is more immersion in what you are doing.

The extra-widescreen goggles probably arent the worlds greatest fashion statement, but they definitely make for an interesting concept and provided they work as well as Zheng described them could offer a preview of how the next generation of VR headsets will appear.

The headset also has some impressive specifications, with OLED display, and 9-axis motion tracking. Equally tantalizing is the bargain price tag of $399 on Kickstarter, even though youll have to wait until April next year to get your hands on it.

Weve been working on this since early 2014, before Oculus was bought by Facebook, Zheng said. Whether his technology can match Oculus trajectory remains to be seen. If youre looking for an impressive, low-cost VR headset its certainly worth exploring, though.

Source:
    - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...vi/description
    - New VR Headset to Double Oculus, HTC Vive's Field of Vision | Digital Trends
    08-30-2016 12:39 PM
    3,840-by-1,080 resolution per eye? That's a high resolution, even if it's a single screen that would require a very beefy rig. By the time it's released though that might not be an issue.
    08-30-2016 01:42 PM
    Yes, I hope they develop something to handle the amount of processing power needed for that in the headset, right now as you may know, I'm just looking for a new laptop to handle the Oculus and a not-so-heavy UPS to make my own "Backpack VR system" lol
    08-30-2016 04:02 PM
    I thought why not just use laptops when I saw those dedicated VR backpack systems. I suppose they can cut the weight off without the screen. They should have an option to connect one though. Most screens don't really attribute to the weight that much I guess. Good luck with your project!
    08-30-2016 04:33 PM
    I think also it's about all the movement (the old HDD moving parts) and also the way to handle the heat should be different'for this backpacks in order to be colder than a laptop, and not only the weight, maybe the price is lower too
    08-31-2016 10:37 AM