Virtual Reality Allows the Most Detailed, Intimate Digital Surveillance Yet

For The Intercept, Joshua Kopstein goes through the looking glass and argues that VR-driven social media may allow alarmingly intimate opportunities for digital surveillance.

According to Kopstein, the digital embodiment of individuals as detailed avatars in the social media space will supply corporations and governments with "unprecedented insight and power over our emotions and physical behavior." The writer also delves into the emerging fields of VR analytics and emotion detection.

Article here: https://theintercept.com/2016/12/23/...veillance-yet/

We already discussed this in some threads, as we all agreed in those, it's matter of education and common sense, it's a pretty long article but I found it very interesting, because shows a lot of info, again all what I see is how it might be harmful for the masses and not individuals with some education.

So what do you think having this additional info?
    12-31-2016 10:12 PM
    Going to get me spooked again! Although shows flip side people always looking to exploit others, and having people who can point these things out and show us how to protect ourselves from simple things. It gets grey, like the Eye tracking they said that marketers would probably try to analyze it to find out what our interests might be rather than asking. Most people are kind enough to point it out when they realize something like this and usually enable mods to "opt out".
    12-31-2016 10:21 PM
    I remember when the advertising said something like "we will offer you what you want even before you know you wanted" talking about how Google and Facebook were monitoring ours Internet browsing, so it become surveillance more than anything after Snowden
    01-01-2017 05:50 AM
    I have been watching too much Black Mirror lately, so seeing this really scares the hell out of me.
    My guess is that Facebook will be certainly spying on people in many clever ways.
    Can the tracking cameras be used as a detailed camera and provide clear photos of users?
    I guess it would be relevant when talking about the rift and not the Vive, which uses the lighthouse system.
    01-01-2017 10:36 PM
    You have to think what is relevant to a company. They don't care about your photo, they can likely gleen that from facebook already.
    01-01-2017 10:46 PM
    Yes, but from the hacking side of things-
    Is it technically possible for a hacker to hack into that camera and to get a clear picture?
    01-01-2017 11:24 PM
    Anything is "technically" possible. Even air-gapped networks have been subject to malicious attacks. What the Oculus sensors is, is a camera with a filter on it for IR. It basically is looking for the IR sensors so it won't always show a clear picture of the user depending on the lighting conditions of that user.

This subreddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comm...sorcamera_see/) speaks more about it.
    01-02-2017 10:18 AM
    Thanks, I will definitely read that.
    01-02-2017 12:16 PM
    Well actually it is speaking not of what they can see in the literal way, but which information the companies are able to gather to create a profile of your behavior and a little more.
    01-03-2017 06:14 PM