Evidently, some developers over at XDA have been working on getting non-Samsung phones such as the LG V20 to use the Oculus software and Gear VR hardware. Currently, there's only an effort to enable ROM developers to bake the functionality into their ROMs, but there is hope that a flashable package will be made at some point, allowing anyone to add Gear VR functionality to their device.

You can read the short article over at Phandroid.
    04-17-2017 05:16 AM
    I dont know about this.

Surely theres not a great deal of devices that would fit in the device. Although this purely isnt aimed at mainstream I can expect people trying it then referring to the Gear VR as rubbish as it lagged etc as its not optimized for the device.

Im all for people trying Gear VR so it can be more mainstream and get more developers I dont think it should be like this
    04-17-2017 06:03 AM
    I dont know about this.

Surely theres not a great deal of devices that would fit in the device. Although this purely isnt aimed at mainstream I can expect people trying it then referring to the Gear VR as rubbish as it lagged etc as its not optimized for the device.

Im all for people trying Gear VR so it can be more mainstream and get more developers I dont think it should be like this
    Yes, I agree, but if the hardware is good enough, it is a shame that a device can not be used with it. The V20 should qualify as good enough, or am I missing an important point?
    04-17-2017 06:28 AM
    I wouldnt say you were missing a point at all.
    While it is a shame these companies spend a large amount of money and effort to get things created/working on there devices and people who wont buy the hardware still want the software.

I know I sound like a fanboy but Im not fully besides LG have a VR headset of there own.
    04-17-2017 06:38 AM
    A question of optimization; the devil's in the detail... Minor quirks in, say, LG's UI might make the Gear VR function sub par, and Samsung won't like the negative feedback. Plus they want to sell phones more than VR headsets...
    04-17-2017 08:12 AM
    One good thing about this is it could open the door to using a custom ROM on your Galaxy phone without losing the Gear VR functionality. The points you all have raised are good points as well. The same argument apples to the much easier method of turning your non-Daydream phone into a Daydream device.
    04-17-2017 10:31 AM
    What worries me about this is that people will be too quick to view VR as a gimmick, due to phone powered VR experienced now being the most quality.
    04-17-2017 01:51 PM
    But people are starting to create more headsets and by the time they have managed to make it compatible, there could be a major breakthrough in the world of vr.
    04-18-2017 09:51 AM
    If more phones can do Gear VR, then Daydream is destined to remain just that - a daydream, and never reality.
    04-21-2017 03:04 PM