Welcome to the VRHeads Forum Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By VirtuaTyKing
  • 2 Post By EgoAnt
  • 1 Post By Russell Holly
  • 1 Post By EgoAnt

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Article: Dev makes a virtual reality discovery experimenting with two Vives

First we put our heads inside virtual reality, then with special controllers we brought in our hands and arms. But what about entire bodies? They're still only basically represented. That's where developer CloudGate Studio comes in.

CloudGate wanted more than hands and arms, to see if it could make a convincing copy of whole human body in a virtual space. With two Vives and four wireless controllers, CloudGate appears to have succeeded.

"This was our first experiment in seeing if we could give you a VR avatar that lined up with where you expected your human body to be, in VR," CloudGate's video description reads.

The experiment resulted in a virtual body that could be patted and touched - knees and toes and all - in exactly the same way as the player's body in real life. A solid body; a body whose feet could even independently kick out at objects in the virtual world.

"Think of what this would look like for multiplayer, for social aspects, for everything, right?" The demonstrator in the video, Steve Bowler, said.

It's not clear exactly how CloudGate is achieving it, nor how the two Vives are set up, but the demonstration is convincing enough.

CloudGate studio is working on a VR dinosaur survival game called Island 359, which is in Steam Early Access now.

Source: Dev makes a virtual reality discovery experimenting with two Vives • Eurogamer.net
    GustavMahler likes this.

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be cool. The only problem I see with all these full body things coming out is ... you need to be absolutely on your game with little kids or they'll get accidentally kicked in the head. Don't want to see a news story about that!

That said, I can see potential here as well as potential for just having the body there when it's not really needed for that game. Time will tell, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PIN
    No
    Can only imagine what will change in the next few years as more and more devs get involved with VR. Exciting times.

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This could probably be accomplished with 4 of the new Vive trackers. Mount one to each knee, one at the base of the spine and one as a belt-buckle. That would honestly make for a pretty decent humanoid rigging system using inverse kinematics.

Global Posts
    1,771 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EgoAnt View Post
    This could probably be accomplished with 4 of the new Vive trackers. Mount one to each knee, one at the base of the spine and one as a belt-buckle. That would honestly make for a pretty decent humanoid rigging system using inverse kinematics.

I was thinking exactly the same, maybe the guy started doing that tests before the CES2017.

Maybe even a new set of devices more basic will be soon on the market.
    Last edited by Chemy JMHT; 01-26-2017 at 09:26 PM.

Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EgoAnt View Post

In fact, the developers have been doing this in preparation for these Trackers. HTC needs to get them out to developers quick!
    EgoAnt likes this.

Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about motion capture replacement? Instead of these massively expensive set ups can this be used by low budget production houses to do basic video capturing? (I have no idea of the cost but it always looks expensive)

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjs37 View Post
    How about motion capture replacement? Instead of these massively expensive set ups can this be used by low budget production houses to do basic video capturing? (I have no idea of the cost but it always looks expensive)
    If you are willing to do some tweaking, there is also a package for Unity called Cinema Mocap 2 that allows you to capture character motion using a Kinect sensor. Motion capture is one of those things in game development that lots of people need at all levels, so it can go from very cheap to ridiculously expensive. I always love seeing new options for indies, though, since I tend to live at the low end of the spectrum.
    Chemy JMHT likes this.

Global Posts
    1,771 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if the next version of VR HMD with the inside out tracking will have that Kinect feature, like the cardboard like headset for iPhone with the camera.

Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemy JMHT View Post
    I wonder if the next version of VR HMD with the inside out tracking will have that Kinect feature, like the cardboard like headset for iPhone with the camera.
    The obivous use of such a system is being able to replicate real world objects in the virtual world. Great for custom controllers. Or hands even. I mean if you look at how MS does Windows Hello on its Surface Line such a system must possible just need to scale it up I guess and make it more affordable.

Global Posts
    1,771 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjs37 View Post
    The obivous use of such a system is being able to replicate real world objects in the virtual world. Great for custom controllers. Or hands even. I mean if you look at how MS does Windows Hello on its Surface Line such a system must possible just need to scale it up I guess and make it more affordable.
    hopefully just in one or two years, I want to be around when it happens and also I want it now