Josh Farkas, from Cubicle Ninjas, posted a bunch of interesting information on Twitter about what they have learned from having apps at #1 on Oculus Connect and Steam.

It's good stuff, I had to share!

Our team has now had apps as #1 in both Steam's VR category (tag?) and on Gear VR. Below is what we've learned.

Position: Steam guarantees # of views and randomizes those views. It's so clear that I can explain in a tweet and still have 100 characters.

Audience: In general, Gear VR users graze across multiple apps, Steam users dine. Time in app is 5x higher for non-mobile (likely heat).

Audience: UI/UX needs much more QA love on mobile. Very easy to frustrate on Gear VR, as often less VR/tech oriented. Should 'just work'.

Audience: This is an assumption based on review style, but Gear VR seems much broader, but also often younger. Plan accordingly.

Audience: Free content will have greater engagement on Gear VR. It will also often produce more media interest (at least in our exp).

Audience: We're enabling IAP in a month on Gear VR so can't speak to this yet, but word on the street is GrooVR and vTime are crushing it.

Dev Support: The backends of both systems are beautiful and highly functional. The examples are wonderful now as well. A genuine pleasure.

Dev Support: Steam has email support, forums, best practice guides, and applies these consistently.

Dev Support: Oculus doesn't reply to emails, has odd forums, best practice guides that are outdated, and inconsistent in approach of all.

Dev Support: Saying this means I'm likely in trouble. Many VR devs live in this fear. It is disheartening.

Future: I love both the Gear VR and Vive/Steam as platforms and believe both have insanely bright futures.

Future: Hoping this info helps someone out there. VR isn't a black box. Sharing is the first step to solving. Now, back to making stuff.
    Firegold21 likes this.
    10-11-2016 11:20 AM
    I guess Oculus needs to step up their dev support. Not really surprising as many regular people have to go to third-party places to find help for their Rift.

Thanks for posting this.
    10-11-2016 07:04 PM
    So the people of Oculus need more and better man force to help there, aren't they hiring? I am very interested on it

I think that explains a lot of the actual situation, I think maybe they are missing the importance of the being that produce content for the devices they are selling.
    10-12-2016 01:43 PM
    The folks at Oculus seem aware of this problem from my conversations at OC3. Here's hoping they have a plan in place soon to deal with it.
    10-12-2016 05:46 PM
    Part of the reason for skimming on the Gear VR (at least from my consumer perspective) is that few apps have enough depth to them to "dine." When I do use apps, however, I stay in them as long as they continue to engage me.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    10-13-2016 04:53 PM