Alienware says VR headsets will be like the Nintendo Wii, where 'everyone wanted one'

Alienware is invested in the future of VR, with the company recently launching their new Alienware 15 and 17 laptops, with the option of AMD's Radeon RX 480 graphics card.

Well, Global Marketing Director Joe Olmsted thinks the portable nature of gaming notebooks will be a huge beacon of hope for VR, which he thinks will become the new Nintendo Wii, where people will bring their consoles with them to parties, and more.

Olmsted said: "I don't know if you remember but ten years ago it was hard to get a Wii, and yet everyone wanted one, everyone wanted to play it, everyone wanted to do tennis and bowling. So we had one, we just lugged it around in a bag and went from place to place to place, you know, be wherever our buddies were at on a Friday night. With VR, I can see that happening; I certainly do it myself".

Alienware has been pushing its VR-ready gaming notebooks, small enough to tuck into a bag alongside the Oculus Rift or HTC Vive, with Olmsted adding: "it's basically a portable VR [rig]".

The new Alienware 15 and 17 gaming notebooks will begin shipping in the US on September 30, followed by an October 4 launch in the UK.

Source: Alienware says VR will be a must-want product soon
    curepute and Cale Hunt like this.
    09-19-2016 11:26 PM
    I'd also like to add that Alienware was one of the first to have an external-video card option for its laptops that allows for VR friendly interaction (at about 1/3 the price of the competitors)
    09-20-2016 05:08 PM
    I'd also like to add that Alienware was one of the first to have an external-video card option for its laptops that allows for VR friendly interaction (at about 1/3 the price of the competitors)
    You know I saw those external boxes to attach a video card and always though it was a great idea, at the time the faster USB wasn't powerful or faster enough to really handle it, but I also expect an upgradeable laptop, not only RAM, CPU and HDD but graphics card or other internal hardware.

I know MSI has some laptops with that but the upgrade should be done by MSI, also another brand do the same.

But what's your opinion of the all in one headsets? Worth the money? Are compatible? I had posted about the offers GearBest has in the page.
    09-20-2016 06:36 PM
    VR may be like Wii where everyone wanted them, but that's where the similarity ends other than the fact that you will exhausted when you are done playing
    09-21-2016 03:33 AM
    That's what's going to make VR affordable for the masses, well that and consoles that will be affordable, but still you gotta figure PCs will have more to offer at first.
    09-21-2016 03:39 AM
    That's what's going to make VR affordable for the masses, well that and consoles that will be affordable, but still you gotta figure PCs will have more to offer at first.
    Absolutely, we had a brutal time getting the best systems ready for us to lug our VR demos out to the public. Getting a good laptop was easy for OSVR, but impossible for Oculus and Vive. The laptops that are out there, are focused on minimum-spec for VR (and as we tend to run developer versions of things, we need a bit more power under the hood for the tradeshows)
    10-15-2016 10:20 PM
    Alienware is a gaming thing, and so is vr, it's not a very useful thing besides for gaming and 3d videos, not very practical for basic help and use as opposed to ar
    10-15-2016 11:45 PM
    Alienware Expensive by what it offers.....SO they need VR To attract customers
    10-16-2016 02:13 AM
    I personally don't really understand gaming laptops. IMHO a laptop is for doing computing on the go, it will always be less powerful and more expensive than a desktop, since you have less thermal headroom, and since you need greater miniaturization to cram all the components in a smaller package. Additionally, VR is IMHO not something you do outside of a controlled environment (since you're basically cutting yourself off from wherever you are - don't do so on the train, plane, bus,...), so unless the idea here is to market VR capable laptops to people wanting to do VR lan parties, I don't see the point. VR capable laptops will have to make compromises. They will be bulkier, heavier, and have less battery life than non-VR ready laptops.
    10-16-2016 05:13 AM
    Im still not completely convinced. I still remember the hype for the PS move and the Kinet and look where they are now. That said, I think VR has a lot more potential to become essential
    10-16-2016 01:01 PM
    There's still much to say about how wide an audience VR will be able to reach and how long it will take to be something that most people will have. It certainly is good to see bigger companies jumping on the VR bandwagon, and we're starting to see more and more of that, only to prove that the big guys all see themselves playing a part in shaping the future of the tech. Anyway, VR is definitely here to stay, at least for a very long time
    10-17-2016 12:54 AM
    Honestly, VR is a new and big thing for 2016, it is already quite impressive on what is shown, but it is only the beginning and we it could only get better from here on out. It gives the viewer a whole new level of immersion in a virtual/fictional world.
    Last edited by Z0MED00D; 10-17-2016 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Share thoughts about VR
    10-17-2016 02:18 AM
    I think it's neat, and there's some cool things like going to see other places that you may never be able to afford to go. I like it for watching movies on my own, and I could see it being used in different industries. I'm just not sure it's going to take off in gaming. Maybe, but it seems very limited in that capacity. Plus when I play a game I'm doing it to relax. Still, Gunjack is a blast.
    10-17-2016 09:44 AM
    I think tech companies may want VR to be a must-buy product for commercial reasons... but it may go the way of the smartwatch... built for a very specific purpose that may not necessarily be attractive or practical to everyone. Drivers complain about pedestrians and headphones... imagine when people think they can VR and walk... or VR and drive...
    10-17-2016 10:19 AM
    Well, using VR to have a hud and perfect visibility (via computer enhanced vision with some kind of active sonar/lidar/cameras/night vision cameras) while driving would definitively rock.
    10-17-2016 01:49 PM

I just saw that image yesterday...

The 4th wave of computing
    10-17-2016 08:47 PM