I just found this out today and I'm a little disappointed. The new Acer headset (shipping to developers now) doesn't actually allow any sort of augmented reality.

That isn't to say that it isn't a cool accomplishment. Here's what it IS:
    A VR headset with inside-out tracking for about $400 US.

The Acer Mixed Reality developer headset doesn't do mixed reality...-acer-windows-mixed-reality-head-mounted-display_straight-970x546-c.jpg

Not too shabby. It uses the same room tracking tech as the HoloLens to determine your position in space, so there is no need for clunky base stations for room scale VR. The price is good, too. Because it can create scan your room, it also has the potential to prevent you from bumping into things without doing a room setup like Oculus and Vive.

I'm still excited, but my dreams of having a VR/AR device in one will have to wait, I guess.
    05-04-2017 02:57 PM
    Im surprised it doesn't as I thought thats what Mixed Reality was, both VR & AR

Hopefully in the future it will be
    05-05-2017 12:58 AM
    Maybe something in the near future @EgoAnt ? or that's what it is and won't be improved with some fancy firmware upgrade or something?
    05-07-2017 10:07 PM
    I like the idea though of inside out room scale technology. Not a fan of setting up cameras everywhere really.
    the_moesiah likes this.
    05-08-2017 09:07 PM
    It does do MR, guys. Everyone has to remember that MR is still so in its infancy, us consumers really don't have an idea what it is. The Hololens demonstrations have warped our fragile little minds......
    EgoAnt likes this.
    05-09-2017 10:07 AM
    Likely problem judging from what I’m reading. If the tracking on your face can’t see your hands tracking doesn’t work. I’m not writing this off by any means but this won’t be meant for killing zombies or robots, more for casual experiences similar to Leap Motion’s Orion.
    05-11-2017 04:38 PM
    Will be interesting to see if there's any grace period when moving the controllers out of view of the headset sensors. Regardless, I'm stoked to try it out!
    05-12-2017 08:54 AM
    Will be interesting to see if there's any grace period when moving the controllers out of view of the headset sensors. Regardless, I'm stoked to try it out!
    I was thinking on it, maybe the controllers will need to have some sensors to see the surroundings while using it, I guess it won't be cheap, but could be an option.
    07-15-2017 07:29 PM
    I was thinking on it, maybe the controllers will need to have some sensors to see the surroundings while using it, I guess it won't be cheap, but could be an option.
    That would be quite the setup lol
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    07-16-2017 10:28 AM
    Why do they've call it mixed really, then?
    07-16-2017 11:56 AM
    yeah, it is not yet final product. it is an prototype. i suppose that they will firstly try to see how the developers (first users) will react to the VR feature and then they will advance with the AR feature.
    i am very happy to see more companies developing VR/AR headset so there is a lot of competition between companies which only benefits the end users
    07-16-2017 12:05 PM
    I can't wait to see more and more VR headsets. Obviously the Rift is at a reasonable level right now but more players will only make it cheaper for everyone.
    07-17-2017 01:30 AM
    I was hoping to have a lot more HMD for Windows MR for this time, but I guess it won't be that soon.
    07-25-2017 05:56 AM
    I really don't want Windows ecosystem lock to be an issue in the future. There's no reason not to just use Vulcan and open standards.
    07-30-2017 12:34 PM
    I really don't want Windows ecosystem lock to be an issue in the future. There's no reason not to just use Vulcan and open standards.
    Well I think there are some initiatives for Open VR beyond the actual Open Source VR (by Razer OSVR - Open-Source Virtual Reality for Gaming), I mean, I remember a site dedicated to linux (VR on Linux) and there are a lot of sites like that, making a wider market for the free options and new ecosystems for VR.

BTW Welcome to the Forum
    07-30-2017 09:02 PM
    Hi!

In my experience, while those efforts are great, they tend to be very limited unless they are directed at the platform level. WINE, for all the complaining people do sometimes, is absolutely fantastic. The effort to keep even just the Rift available for non-Rift "certified" titles ran into a wall when Oculus/Facebook locked it down, though they partially relent.

The read of Microsoft's history on issues like this induces tears. Specifically gaming and hardware related, we have Directx, Games for Windows and Windows Live, the "app store" with metro, the "app store +" with Windows 10... On the hardware side, things like the Kinect have been really cool and not too locked down (though there is no platform to care about), but all of their actual tools have required Directx and thus been tied not just to Windows, but sometimes even additional purchases (dev studio).

I think PM's recent talk about fearing MS trying to kill sys32 is too dramatic, but it's a real problem.

In any case, even if a solid effort is made, I doubt the full potential of the hardware can be unlocked unless Microsoft is willing to allow it to be, and I don't think that is going to be the case.
    07-31-2017 11:10 AM
    What you said is totally truth, most of the times when you simply leave it "free" to access for all kind of developers is simply amazing, if it wasn't for that initiative there wasn't any Android phone and we might be still using pretty old Windows Mobile phones as the top of the line or something.
    08-03-2017 09:41 PM
    I'm interested to see if the Acer will support Open Vr or Steam Vr.
    08-14-2017 05:39 AM