10 Incredible Uses of Virtual Reality-55c3c_vir05_a1.jpg

Its not just for video games.

This piece originally appeared on Entrepreneur.com.

Virtual reality technology holds enormous potential to change the future for a number of fields, from medicine, business, architecture to manufacturing.

Psychologists and other medical professionals are using VR to heighten traditional therapy methods and find effective solutions for treatments of PTSD, anxiety and social disorders. Doctors are employing VR to train medical students in surgery, treat patients pains and even help paraplegics regain body functions.

In business, a variety of industries are benefiting from VR. Carmakers are creating safer vehicles, architects are constructing stronger buildings and even travel agencies are using it to simplify vacation planning.

Check out these 10 amazing uses of VR.

To Help Paraplegics Regain Body Functions.

A year-long study conducted by Duke University discovered huge benefits of virtual reality technology for paraplegics.

Patients wearing VR headsets tasked to move through a stadium as a soccer player were able to regain some brain functions associated with moving their legs. Of the eight patients tested, each regained some control and four were upgraded from full paraplegics to partial paraplegics.

10 Incredible Uses of Virtual Reality-nasa_vr_800.jpg

To Treat PTSD

Traditionally, doctors use exposure therapy to treat the nearly 8 million adults who suffer from PTSD a year. Exposure therapy pushes patients to recount their traumas, visualize it in their imaginations and explain to the doctor what is happening as they experience the stressful scenario.

Virtual reality essentially employs the same method, while utilizing headsets to create a virtual world with custom elements (for example, helicopters, machine guns and missiles may be used to customize the experience for a war veteran). The patient is then asked to narrate what is happening.

To Train Medical Students.

Virtual reality provides medical and dental students a safe and controlled environment to practice surgeries and procedures, allowing them to make mistakes without having any impact on an actual patient, and prepare for any unexpected situations.

Performing a hands-on procedure and being able to interact with a virtual patient lets students develop their skills, which they can later apply to the real world.

To Treat Pain.

Doctors are using distraction therapy through virtual reality to help people handle pain while they undergo treatments such as physical therapy. A 2011 study on military burn victims revealed that SnowWorld a VR game that allows users to throw snowballs at penguins while listening to Paul Simon has proven more effective than morphine in pain management.

To Treat Anxiety Attacks.

More than 40 million adults in the U.S. experience anxiety. The virtual reality game Deep a digital version of a diaphragmatic exercise looks to help those individuals deal with fear and anxiety with the use of a belt that monitors breathing. The game puts the user into a natural setting and guides them through deep belly breathing exercises calming users in about five minutes.

To Help Children And Teens With Autism Develop Social Skills.

Professors at the University of Texas in Dallas have created a program that uses virtual reality to help children with autism develop social skills. Putting kids, teens and young adults in social scenarios such as job interviews or blind dates with avatars, they learn how to pick up on social cues and respond appropriately.

By monitoring brain waves throughout the program, professors noticed increased activity in areas connected to social understanding.

To Help In Business.

Look out video chat, virtual reality is here. Businesses are beginning to employ VR in a number of ways: to reduce costs, lessen business travel, conduct interviews, give tours, forecast trends and hold meetings.

Rather than traveling for a conference or meeting, or interviewing a candidate face to face, companies are using virtual conference rooms.

Businesses that have dangerous products or are in the early stages are using VR to test safety and functionality without risking the health of employees.

To Better Model Architects Designs.

Virtual reality will benefit key players in the construction space such as architects and designers. The tool allows a user to virtually inhabit spaces in three dimensions. Computer-generated images will replace hand-drawn renderings ultimately reducing time spent reworking layouts and drawings, effectively reducing costs and increasing safety.

Simulating the real world will not only allow designers to more easily create buildings and spaces from lighting to flooring to foundations but it will also let designers test out environments before actually building them. For example, they can realistically understand how quickly someone is able to exit the building in the case of an emergency.

To Test Car Safety And Drive Sales.

VR gives cars engineers the ability to test the safety of vehicles in a virtual setting before actually manufacturing them. Aside from the building process, large car companies such as Ford, Volvo and Hyundai use virtual reality in sales as well by having potential customers use a VR headset to test drive vehicles.

Here a video to show another view of the amazing applications of Virtual reality:

Source: 10 Incredible Uses of Virtual Reality
    09-09-2016 02:19 AM
    Some interesting uses for VR in there that I never envisaged.

1 in 20 die in military training though, that's a shocking statistic.
    09-09-2016 03:20 PM
    Virtual reality is certainly a big part of the future, there are endless possibilities of what it could do.
    John States likes this.
    09-10-2016 11:48 PM
    They are all good, but I especially found the Autism application most interesting given I have a child who is on the spectrum, I hope it will be able to help him some day.
    John States likes this.
    09-11-2016 01:58 AM
    I've known about the Snow World thing for a while and been wanting to try it out. I saw a short video yesterday, strangely enough, that mentioned the regaining motor skills through VR.

Reminds me of a famous hypnotist, Milton Erickson. He was paralyzed as a child from Polio and regained mobility by watching a newborn baby learn to walk (and presumably vividly imagining doing it with him). Very cool that VR has that same potential.

I bet it would also help a lot with phantom limb pain; it would require some customization, obviously, but it should work just as well, if not better than, as the traditional mirror illusion method.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    09-11-2016 12:20 PM
    I think VR can also have a great impact on education. For example in history classes watching MLK speak, walking the streets of 17th century Paris, being in the middle of the bolshevik revolution. Or Science classes visualizing Hawking radiation on the edge of a black hole or quantum tunneling or constructing molecules. We tend to retain more information that we receive visually so VR and AR should be an integral part of education hopefully in the near future.
    trancesweeps and PRGDR like this.
    10-28-2016 10:00 PM
    Great article! Thanks for entry! Some schools are already using Google Cardboard in classes with the Expeditions app. But as you said John, it would be amazing to stretch it even further!
    10-28-2016 10:59 PM
    Really great article!Didn't know that those uses were possible and it's really nice to read things like that, expecially if they are for medical purpose or technical/engeneering ones!
    10-29-2016 05:59 AM
    What a great read that was. I had never even thought about other applications besides entertainment.
    10-29-2016 03:05 PM
    Virtual Reality provides a whole array of tools to help people fight back against ongoing pain, from injuries of all sorts.
    04-03-2017 06:38 AM
    Interesting. I can see VR being very useful for visualizing 3d; but it will be better when you can view objects from all perspectives. And that may take new cameras.... Pre-surgery scans for doctor to review. Unique chemical structures,,, especially enzymes, virus, that "lock" onto cells...
    04-03-2017 06:56 AM
    I think VR can also have a great impact on education. For example in history classes watching MLK speak, walking the streets of 17th century Paris, being in the middle of the bolshevik revolution. Or Science classes visualizing Hawking radiation on the edge of a black hole or quantum tunneling or constructing molecules. We tend to retain more information that we receive visually so VR and AR should be an integral part of education hopefully in the near future.
    Yes, I totally agree, besides from its the medical applications, I think VR (and other *R) have a great potential to impact education.
    04-07-2017 08:38 AM
    Great post... thx
    04-07-2017 01:05 PM
    Yes, I totally agree, besides from its the medical applications, I think VR (and other *R) have a great potential to impact education.
    Me too. I'm just waiting for development to get a little more serious. It seems only the indie devs are doing something, don't you agree?
    Cheers
    04-07-2017 03:27 PM
    Me too. I'm just waiting for development to get a little more serious. It seems only the indie devs are doing something, don't you agree?
    Cheers
    Yes, but the boost might come from the education industry. The Technology Enhanced Learning is a becoming a hot topic, and I think there will be a lot of development with these technologies.
    04-08-2017 07:17 PM
    The problem, for me at least, is that things are taking too long... The Vive was released a year ago and we still don't have any AAA breakthrough game

Cheers
    04-09-2017 01:51 AM
    I absolutely love this article. Vr is pretty awesome!
    04-09-2017 11:40 AM
    This is a great article. I learned so much. Thanks!
    04-09-2017 05:12 PM
    The things you learn every day. Great article. Thank you for all the interesting information.
    04-09-2017 05:48 PM
    Very nicely written article indeed. We are always learning
    Cheers
    04-10-2017 01:58 AM
    True, according to research specifically in the psychology field. It's helpful for people with anxiety (social anxiety,etc). Also, people with traumatic experiences who isn't as ready to interact with other people. So, in a way virtual reality isn't all bad like others say.
    04-11-2017 11:35 AM
    Great article......very informative!!
    04-12-2017 09:26 AM
    It can also help artists as there is an app that lets you create art all around you. How cool is that?
    04-17-2017 12:41 AM
    VR does have a bright future and many uses that can be explored! It will be a life saver for for example sick children to follow courses through vr like they were in the classroom. Only thing they need to fix is the motion sickness it causes
    04-19-2017 05:02 AM
    I think VR has a great potential to make the learning process better. As a teacher of Economics, I find it difficult to get the students attracted to dull 2D diagrams on the blackboard. VR can make the process more of a fun than a chore.
    04-19-2017 07:54 AM
32 12