I've started encouraging my kids to think about VR from a creation perspective, and found a great starting point is 360 photography. Encouraging them to find a way to tell stories using multiple photo spheres has been very rewarding.

How would you add to this?

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    Firegold21 likes this.
    12-20-2016 06:23 PM
    I think this is a great idea! I also love programs that introduce children to programming, and hardware building. My brother is getting his technically inclined 13 year old son a build your own PC kit. I believe it's a Linux based system, I don't think he got or is getting him a Raspberry PI, BUT something very similar. He figures they can work on it together as a bonding experience as well as the child will learn about hardware builds and basic programming. His daughter (11) makes YouTube videos. I LOVE stuff like this!
    Last edited by pkcable; 12-21-2016 at 12:55 PM. Reason: typo
    12-21-2016 11:10 AM
    Maybe have them play with Minecraft VR and create scenes in it to explore?
    12-21-2016 11:42 AM
    Unity adding their in-VR tools will make it a bigger thing to design VR and AR content. I have a hard time working on 3D stuff in 2D. I can't wait for the big update.
    pkcable and Firegold21 like this.
    12-21-2016 04:48 PM
    I like this idea. My son isn't quite there yet, at 5 years old, but he is very intelligent and interested in STEM type stuff, so it'll come eventually.

pkcable likes this.
    12-24-2016 07:57 PM
    The heck with the kids. How about all the rest of us. This sounds like a great hobby.
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    12-25-2016 08:57 AM
    Got more info on the raspberry pi project my brother and nephew are doing. Apparently they are going to try to build a "retro" arcade console powered by the pi. Sounds like fun!
    Firegold21 and iThunderbirt like this.
    12-27-2016 10:02 AM
    I would suggest 360 camera or perhaps a minecraft vr walking experience as said above. Ask them though they come up with some creative stuff sometimes just need a little help. Also awesome to hear building a arcade console, someone everyone wants to atleast take one turn on. Reminds me of my uncle's man cave when i was a kid had couple of them, star wars collectibles, and pool table lol.
    12-30-2016 05:33 PM
    I have considered getting a 360 camera and shooting some vids for you guys!
    01-03-2017 12:28 PM
    I have considered getting a 360 camera and shooting some vids for you guys!
    It's a lot of fun to play with. Where do you think you'd start?
    01-18-2017 08:50 AM
    It's a lot of fun to play with. Where do you think you'd start?
    Was thinking along the lines of a man on the streets kind of thing, out and about, me visiting places, museums, parks, the beach, etc
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    01-18-2017 09:14 AM
    Got more info on the raspberry pi project my brother and nephew are doing. Apparently they are going to try to build a "retro" arcade console powered by the pi. Sounds like fun!
    Sounds like a cool father and son project. They plan to include a mix of old school arcade games with retro Nintendo/Sega games?

01-18-2017 04:09 PM
    Was thinking along the lines of a man on the streets kind of thing, out and about, me visiting places, museums, parks, the beach, etc
    I have a 360 camera and want to do this, too. I have been plagued with self-doubt about it, though. I guess I have just been having a hard time deciding what locations would be good when my city is so drab in the winter. I feel like a drab dude in a drab city.
    01-18-2017 05:30 PM
    How would you add to this?
    i just want them to launch Mindshow already so I can start making movies with my kids! Other than that, though, games like Fantastic Contraption, Minecraft and of course all the different painting / modeling tools in VR are great places to start.
    01-18-2017 05:40 PM
    I'm more of the mind that the modelling is the way to go. Designing, 3D printing, programming. Many different ways to get kids tech happy!
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    01-18-2017 06:13 PM
    I think some companies are releasing software to do that, with a very simple code, just a few commands but as a start.

For VR video (actually 360 video) I guess just by doing it and thinking about it, things like "maybe holding the camera higher it won't catch the glare" and giving them (the children) some awareness of how their actions affect the result and what can be better or worse is more than enough.

I want to buy a 360 camera to do some test until finding the right space to filming and the right way to do it too, but well, not as easy here as in other countries.

I don't have any kid, I use to teach kids about nature, animals and ecology while I was working with INPARQUES (National Parks Institute), not in my plans to have children actually.
    01-19-2017 07:48 PM