Folks,

After reading this blog by Cale Hunt. It really got me thinking about RPGs, or Role Playing Games. I used to play these a LOT, in my younger days. I'm old so I go back to those text based on screen RPGs we used to play. Adventure, Zork, etc

RPG Gaming-you_are_likely_to_be_eaten_by_a_grue_by_nmajmani-d4qbkrg.jpg

Continuing on to dungeon crawlers, like Shadows of Yserbius, and Neverwinter Knights, and finially games like Diablo (not sure if that counts), and Worlds of Warcraft. Now we come to VR which would really seem to lend itself to RPG play. So what are YOUR favorite VR RPG games? Any fond memories of RPGs of the past? Lets talk RPG!

Rich
    Klortch and iThunderbirt like this.
    12-30-2016 09:06 AM
    I haven't played any VR RPG games though I did get Chronos to try out. As for traditional RPG's I have enjoyed the Fallout series and Elder Scrolls both which I think would work decently well in VR if done right, I also have enjoyed the more traditional JRPG's which I think can be done if you do like a Bravely Default art stlye where its stereoscopic in its design but not necessairly from the first person view. I think that and more traditional isometric styles would also work well as you could look around the scene with the character being the center focus point.

Another category that could work out really well is tabletop style games. I think Tabletop Simulator shows a lot of potential in this realm especially for RPG's.
    pkcable likes this.
    12-30-2016 09:33 AM
    I haven't played any VR RPG games though I did get Chronos to try out. As for traditional RPG's I have enjoyed the Fallout series and Elder Scrolls both which I think would work decently well in VR if done right, I also have enjoyed the more traditional JRPG's which I think can be done if you do like a Bravely Default art stlye where its stereoscopic in its design but not necessairly from the first person view. I think that and more traditional isometric styles would also work well as you could look around the scene with the character being the center focus point.

Another category that could work out really well is tabletop style games. I think Tabletop Simulator shows a lot of potential in this realm especially for RPG's.
    LOVED the original Elder Scrolls on PC! Thought it was one of THE best RPGs and massive world type games.
    12-30-2016 09:40 AM
    Was just talking about original elder scroll with my friend (he played it way more than me) and played some tabletop sim with him and others last week ended up in alot of battles. As for VR rpg is there any that stand out or even exist? Seen mostly mini-game style stuff. After little searching first one I found was Vanishing Realms
    pkcable likes this.
    12-30-2016 04:18 PM
    LOVED the original Elder Scrolls on PC! Thought it was one of THE best RPGs and massive world type games.
    Yup I am curious to see how they deal with moving around the world. Probably just do controller style I would imagine.
    12-30-2016 08:35 PM
    It would be cool to have an RPG diplomacy / war sim where you attended planning sessions at a VR war table. You could push all the pieces around a miniature landscape and then see the battles play out.
    12-30-2016 08:52 PM
    Wow now i want to do that... Actually move the pieces. Just because I could mostly. Not sure if I would keep doing it with the controllers seem bit bulky for something simple and long term.
    12-31-2016 02:09 AM
    I played a little Asheron's Call way back when; outside of that, my main RPG was Final Fantasy. I know, not really traditional RPG, but still. I used to play a play-by-post version of Mage: the Ascension on a website. At least until it kinda fizzled out, lol.

Just remembered I also did a game based on Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's Deathgate series. It was rather easy, being more a "find the right thing to click to solve the puzzle" than true roleplaying, but it was cool.
    01-07-2017 08:26 PM
    It's good to know there are some other older gamers around here. ☺ My first RPG was Phantasy Star on the Sega Master System. I've mostly enjoyed RPGs on consoles over the years but recently I've been checking out World of Warcraft. My favorite RPGs from the last couple generations include Fallout 3 and 4, Elder Scrolls and The Witcher. I can't wait until a true RPG comes to PSVR.
    pkcable likes this.
    01-07-2017 11:31 PM
    I'm not playing as much as I want, but I played Skyrim TES and did and used one program to try to run it on VR and I wasn't able, even when you can see videos on youtube of people doing it.

The last one I played more or less like this was Alice VR, the problem is that moving is with the XBOX controller, so it's very lineal, it doesn't feel right.

I think I need to try best VR titles :P

PKcable, you feel old, I'm not maybe same age than you, but I used to play in a ZX81 (I don't remember where it is, but still working) and mostly in a Commodore C64.
    01-09-2017 08:48 PM
    No VR RPGs yet (though will be looking forward to trying some), my RPGs I played in the past are WoW, Rift, KotOR.

Recent on I play, when I get a chance, is Elder Scrolls Online.

Big fan of ARPG. So any Diablo-style games I am in

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    pkcable likes this.
    01-10-2017 06:43 AM
    Well I love even the cinematics from Diablo. I didn't finish the 3.
    01-10-2017 09:10 PM
    Well I love even the cinematics from Diablo. I didn't finish the 3.
    O.O

When you get a chance you should!

01-10-2017 09:14 PM
    O.O

When you get a chance you should!

I will for sure, how do you think that kind of hand should be Diablo on VR?
    01-10-2017 09:38 PM
    I got into Diablo when 2 was all the rage. I still install it once in awhile when the ladder resets - yes, it still resets. Keep my install disks in a safe

When 3 came out I held out as it was mostly panned, but when the major overhaul came in I got into it. Played all the way up to last season but didn't get into the most recent one.

Needless to say I'm a fan of the Diablo series. Enigma, Shako, Hoto, Treks: know what I'm saying?
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    01-11-2017 07:55 PM
    I played Diablo 2 a lot, but I don't remember very much about it, I'm looking to buy the 3 because of you people :P
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    01-16-2017 06:17 PM
    I played Diablo 2 a lot, but I don't remember very much about it, I'm looking to buy the 3 because of you people :P
    I think it's probably available at a reduced cost now. If you go for it, definitely get Reaper of souls.
    01-18-2017 08:53 PM
    I think it's probably available at a reduced cost now. If you go for it, definitely get Reaper of souls.
    it's $19.99 the bundle, I wonder, how can you use VR in a game like this one in order to improve it?

I was thinking there have to be a lot of rework, but could be interesting.
    01-18-2017 09:17 PM
    it's $19.99 the bundle, I wonder, how can you use VR in a game like this one in order to improve it?

I was thinking there have to be a lot of rework, but could be interesting.
    Agreed some rework would be needed. If they would make a Diablo game in VR it might resemble Skyrim when palying it in 1st person mode.
    01-18-2017 09:35 PM
    Agreed some rework would be needed. If they would make a Diablo game in VR it might resemble Skyrim when palying it in 1st person mode.
    Oh Man doing it as Skyrim should be simply too amazing.

I was thinking just a simply way of looking on the headset but you dreamed higher.

I was trying to have a good play on VR for Skyrim but it needed a lot of tweaks and didn't work pretty well with the free options I found.
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    01-18-2017 11:17 PM
    I got into Diablo when 2 was all the rage. I still install it once in awhile when the ladder resets - yes, it still resets. Keep my install disks in a safe

When 3 came out I held out as it was mostly panned, but when the major overhaul came in I got into it. Played all the way up to last season but didn't get into the most recent one.

Needless to say I'm a fan of the Diablo series. Enigma, Shako, Hoto, Treks: know what I'm saying?
    2 was the best! Played for hours and hours back in the day! I used to love Doom 2, Duke Nukem 3D, and Quake also! We would Quake for hours and hours too!
    01-24-2017 12:38 PM
    2 was the best! Played for hours and hours back in the day! I used to love Doom 2, Duke Nukem 3D, and Quake also! We would Quake for hours and hours too!
    All the reasons why my folks had to get a second phone line back in the day.

01-24-2017 02:53 PM
    All the reasons why my folks had to get a second phone line back in the day.

I know the feeling! And then I discovered ISDN remember those?
    01-24-2017 08:10 PM
    I know the feeling! And then I discovered ISDN remember those?
    Unfortunately I didn't. For me, after moving to Ottawa I jumped on high speed cable

01-25-2017 06:13 AM
    So all you are doing guys is making me feel about my 128KB/s unstable internet lol

When I was in Panama for me was a dream to have a 4Mb/s speed and constant.
    01-26-2017 09:35 PM
28 12