So a couple weeks ago I had what I thought was a great idea for a VR game. I'm insanely busy with other client work right now, so I drew up a quick sketch describing the basic mechanic and thought I'd use a freelancer to build the underlying structure.

I shopped around and got a couple quotes, and picked a person who seemed like a good mix of middle cost, decent skill level.

In short they delivered something that basically worked, but wasn't very clean or reusable, and didn't meet all of my requirements. This doesn't bother me. I'm a pretty decent developer so I expected I'd have to do some clean up.

Here's what bugs me:
    I got this message after paying the developer and rating them at about a 4.6 / 5.
    Rant mode: Freelancers-5-stars.jpg

I really feel like giving him such a 4.6 was being pretty generous, especially considering he asked me for an additional 10 hours VERY late in the project. I was almost tempted to go back and lower his communication score, but of course that's just mean and vindictive.

It just makes me wonder how many of these "5 star developers" on some sites just guilt people into their high ratings.
    10-17-2016 01:05 PM
    I think it's amazing they have the nerve to ask. It's fascinating how ratings economies function. Sucks you had to deal with this though!
    10-17-2016 04:48 PM
    Isn't the whole point of a review system to get an accurate idea of how well something works? This is pretty brash...
    10-17-2016 05:13 PM
    I think it's amazing they have the nerve to ask. It's fascinating how ratings economies function. Sucks you had to deal with this though!
    Ratings economies are so bizarre. It's a lot like selecting food at the supermarket - when there are 10 perfect apples and 10 pretty good apples in front of you why wouldn't you pick from the perfect-seeming ones first? Reducing someone's work to a 5 point scale makes the selection process easier, but also pushes the buyer towards a less considerate purchase.

Isn't the whole point of a review system to get an accurate idea of how well something works? This is pretty brash...
    I agree, the next person to hire this freelancer would be expecting the same thing as me - that this is a 5 star developer. If I go to a five star restaurant and pay five star prices, I don't expect to get a plate with two McDonald's cheeseburgers on it.
    10-18-2016 09:54 AM
    I wouldn't feel too bad about it. People need to earn their reviews they shouldn't be automatically awarded.

In mobile if you post a game, you lose stars for anything someone doesn't like - I have never lost sleep over a bad review on one of my titles or services but I have used it to make them better. I think that should be the standard everywhere when selling services or products online... If they can't handle an accurate reflection of their work, they are in the wrong business in my opinion...

The hard part, is as a Canadian, it's counter culture. As we typically are polite but rate things reasonably. I'd say he deserves a stern reply. But keeping in mind that could tarnish future discussions.

There are a lot of freelancers that would do anything for a project and will literally work around the clock to amaze. When someone treats it like a minimal effort 9-5 job, they shouldn't be freelancing. My personal policy is I deduct a star anytime someone asks me to artificially boost a review.
    EgoAnt likes this.
    11-07-2016 02:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD