hello community, i am researching a specific game mechanic. might be easier to tell you my design goal.
    Im looking to create a vr game where the player has to bite/chew through their own arm, by holding their arm in front of their face and moving their head up and down, Can anybody please help me or at least point me in the right direction to start this.

J276
    11-18-2016 09:06 AM
    Maybe someone already did something like that and posted it here? .....

https://github.com/

PS Sounds like a frighting game! And I mean that in a good way!
    11-18-2016 09:20 AM
    I'm not a programmer, long time without coding, but for what I know, depending of the devices you are intending to do it.

I'm just thinking aloud about that problem here because it's pretty interesting.

If it's a Gear VR device, in order to track your hand you will need to take the cover in order to have the camera available, with the gyroscope and the camera focusing in the near object (the hand) in front of it.

If it's the Oculus Rift, without the the Oculus Touch or the additional tracking camera I think placing the hands with the meals inbetween the Camera Sensor and the HMD, so you might track when the HMD disappear also with the gyroscope monitoring the up and down movement.

If it's the HTC ViVE, I think it's pretty easy (to think I don't know to code) because with the controllers you have everything done in order to track how close are the controllers to the HMD, I also think with the PlayStation VR would be the same.

I'm sorry not answering your question, but I will tell some friend to see if they can help you with a more deeper answer, I think you could give more details in order to know how you pretend to reach your goal, which language are you using C+, Unity, others, which devices and some of that.
    pkcable likes this.
    11-18-2016 12:08 PM
    I wholeheartedly agree with the above.

You can't use most headsets with this.

It would need to be:
    HTC Vive

Or
    OSVR/Oculus with Leap Motion (tracks hands and fingers)

It might be easier to do a one day online course somewhere too

For game engines id just use Unity + SteamVR. Assuming your good on the code side, a good starting place would be here:
    https://github.com/thestonefox/VRTK
    pkcable likes this.
    11-18-2016 02:18 PM
    Hi welcome to VRheads!
    Sorry I can't help with the code side. It's an interesting idea that I presume would be toward the end of the game or maybe a nightmare sequence. As they would only have use of one hand for the rest of the game. I suppose it's for the best you don't give out any spoilers. I don't know if it's supposed to be realistic but I've never heard of anyone doing that! Cutting off limbs to escape being trapped has happened of course.
    pkcable likes this.
    11-18-2016 03:04 PM