Hello mostly humans!

For those of you following what we've been doing out at our studios, we've been really focusing on building learning and development tools and programs - which has been a lot of fun. But we want your input!

Part of this process has had us launching a livecoding.tv channel where you can hang out and talk with our team as we work on our VR titles in real time. We are also running local development classes now, and begun our first large Udemy course for learning multi-headset VR Which has all been fun stuff.

But I was wondering, what is everyone's thoughts on here? Where do you feel we should we invest time? And would you prefer live streaming, recorded training sessions, or print materials?
    01-13-2017 08:08 PM
    I'm thinking video is the way to go. While live streaming is an interesting idea, recorded video tutorials may be a better way to go. However if this streaming platform you use provides for the saving and viewing of the streams after they have been broadcasted that could work. And it probably does work that way. Do you have a link you your channel? I would love to check it out.
    KermEd likes this.
    01-14-2017 02:09 PM
    But I was wondering, what is everyone's thoughts on here? Where do you feel we should we invest time? And would you prefer live streaming, recorded training sessions, or print materials?
    I'm not a developer, last time I wrote code (and it worked) was like ten years ago, and was HEX because I'm an electronic engineer, so was over a CPU and not those fancy Unity-like programs.

But I'm sharing the info with the my friends who are in that world.

For me, there is something missing in the new way of teaching how to program, it's the fact that most places (don't know about your right now) teach to code how if you already know how to code, so the basic is really lost in between, maybe short really basic terms and definitions with examples of coding, a blend of text and video.
    01-15-2017 07:45 PM
    I'm thinking video is the way to go. While live streaming is an interesting idea, recorded video tutorials may be a better way to go. However if this streaming platform you use provides for the saving and viewing of the streams after they have been broadcasted that could work. And it probably does work that way. Do you have a link you your channel? I would love to check it out.
    You've always been so supportive over everything I do You bet, we have a weekly stream now - Wednesdays @7PM -> 9PM Vancouver time:
    http://liveedu.tv/redironlabs

I checked into it, and your right, it archives the videos for two weeks, and is free for anyone to come check out It is interesting, I'm not sure how this will go... we ran the first one and it seems to have gathered quite a few views. Hopefully people find it interesting!

I'm not a developer, last time I wrote code (and it worked) was like ten years ago, and was HEX because I'm an electronic engineer, so was over a CPU and not those fancy Unity-like programs.

But I'm sharing the info with the my friends who are in that world.

For me, there is something missing in the new way of teaching how to program, it's the fact that most places (don't know about your right now) teach to code how if you already know how to code, so the basic is really lost in between, maybe short really basic terms and definitions with examples of coding, a blend of text and video.
    I think you are a developer in training and just don't realize it yet Good call on the teaching, I'll have to really give it some thought. It would be a huge challenge for new coders ... I'm hoping I can talk you into looking into our bigger learning to code VR course coming up and let me know if you see it as confusing
    01-18-2017 02:25 PM
    I think you are a developer in training and just don't realize it yet Good call on the teaching, I'll have to really give it some thought. It would be a huge challenge for new coders ... I'm hoping I can talk you into looking into our bigger learning to code VR course coming up and let me know if you see it as confusing
    Just taking a look to see what can I get then.
    KermEd likes this.
    01-18-2017 09:02 PM
    I'll try to stay up next week!
    KermEd likes this.
    01-19-2017 09:29 AM
    I'll try to stay up next week!
    Last night I stayed until 2am (here, there were like 10pm).

I think some day we can gather there to do something (us, the audience) with the guidance of KermEd
    pkcable and KermEd like this.
    01-19-2017 03:02 PM
    Where do you feel we should we invest time? And would you prefer live streaming, recorded training sessions, or print materials?
    I'd do about a 30-70 split between Live Streaming and recorded video. Live streaming is easy to set up and if you maintain a regular schedule (something I'm terrible at) you can build a fanbase there fairly easily. Posting videos to YouTube is definitely a bigger focus, though, since having a couple good tutorials will bring in a trickle of traffic that can build over time.
    pkcable, Chemy JMHT and KermEd like this.
    01-20-2017 09:48 AM
    I'd do about a 30-70 split between Live Streaming and recorded video. Live streaming is easy to set up and if you maintain a regular schedule (something I'm terrible at) you can build a fanbase there fairly easily. Posting videos to YouTube is definitely a bigger focus, though, since having a couple good tutorials will bring in a trickle of traffic that can build over time.
    Great points and thank you guys for joining today

I totally agree, we have been running a regular Wednesday session, and it has been a blast. Thank you!
    EgoAnt likes this.
    01-26-2017 04:39 AM
    Very interesting last night! Although I DID conch out early. Did you get the table done? Was very interesting watching the modeling process!
    01-26-2017 06:57 AM
    Great points and thank you guys for joining today

I totally agree, we have been running a regular Wednesday session, and it has been a blast. Thank you!
    I think yesterday I received the notification on my email but here was pretty late and I was having my usual Internet problem so.
    01-26-2017 09:32 PM
    Just checked out one of the archived streams and looks cool. I'll have to check it out more tomorrow when I have more time: cramming for Sunday, where the local meetup group is going to attempt a mini "VR Jam" and get as far as we can in making something for the Vive in three hours.
    02-23-2017 05:14 AM