After seeing the post My First Virtual Reality Groping the other day I have been thinking about ways to make VR experiences a safe space for people.

I came up with a rough draft of a system to prevent this today. Basically you limit the range that people can see and interact with you based on their friend level. I'm sure that Facebook has already worked out something far superior to this, but here's what I have.

How to make multiplayer VR a safe space for people-avatar-system.jpg

If someone approaches you and they are a stranger, you can't see their hands. If they try to get inside your stranger zone they will fade out and disappear for you, and you will fade out for them, too.
    To talk to you they would need to send a request.

Acquaintances would be allowed a little closer and could talk freely, but still no hands. Friends would be allowed the closest and would display hands.

If hands are an integral part of the game then you would have to adjust the rules accordingly. For example, if you had a baseball game, the pitcher's hands would be visible only when they are on the pitcher's mound.

Any thoughts?
    pkcable and Chemy JMHT like this.
    10-25-2016 12:19 PM
    This is a solid evolution of what we see in Big Screen and AltSpace already. Personal boundaries are so important, and bit just for avoiding terrible people. Seeing the inside of an avatar is jarring, and I prefer to avoid it.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    krisguy and EgoAnt like this.
    10-25-2016 01:43 PM
    I'm liking the Altspace model with ME having control of it. So much nicer when you give the viewer control.
    EgoAnt likes this.
    10-25-2016 02:07 PM
    I'm liking the Altspace model with ME having control of it. So much nicer when you give the viewer control.
    I've been in AltSpace but never really saw any privacy settings.

... Okay, so I just looked it up and can see they have a "space bubble". When I was in there I toggled it on and off but never actually figured out what it was. Basically my concept is an extension of that. I think it would be important to give people control over it so that there was more freedom. I wish I was at home today so I could mock up a demo of it.
    10-25-2016 02:37 PM
    Limits based on friend level is pretty neat and an extension of what we live by now. Good idea. I still don't understand why people can't just be naturally cool...
    10-25-2016 06:44 PM
    Because human nature is to take care of our own needs first, physical, emotional, or other. When someone is on a path to take care of themselves, they cannot think from other angles or perspectives. This is part of the culture shift that has happened in the last 15 years.
    10-25-2016 07:08 PM
    I do like the control options, privacy is a key part of society and appealing to it would draw a lot of people.
    10-25-2016 08:05 PM
    I was posting some threads and remembered the one of the woman, this is pretty good idea I think, having some rules of proximity could be all that we need.
    KermEd likes this.
    12-19-2016 12:11 AM
    I love the idea of limiting the user approach. I saw another one (person harassed in vr) on youtube yesterday
    12-19-2016 11:32 AM