So I had an idea pop into my head the other day while working at the boring day job. A lot of people were excited by the Leap Motion due to it possibly enabling ASL (American Sign Language) auto translation, but it turned out to be not quite adequate for that. It's not very good at recognizing two-handed gestures where the hands overlap. My idea would kinda reverse that ...

Instead of making a training app that would recognize if you're making the right handshapes, you'd be able to see the other characters signing, then choose from a list of canned responses (which would indicate how accurately you understood the signs you saw). After that, your VR hands would sign the response you chose, allowing you to experience signing it the correct way, from the correct first person viewpoint.

The idea behind this is that there have been several studies indicating mental rehearsal works and actually trains muscles and muscle memory. In addition, having come from a hypnosis background, I can see how identification with your avatar (1st person POV enforces that to an extent) equates to deep trance identification, which is a technique for rapid change based on "stepping into" a role model and experiencing them doing whatever it is you're learning as though you were doing it.

Those two things together, I think, would make this idea a potentially extremely effective way of learning ASL.

That out of the way, I'm nowhere near proficient enough at modeling and animating to make this happen on my own. Anyone know of good resources to find someone willing to work on spec? Or to partner with and do a Kickstarter? If I can find a way to do this, I think it could quite possibly be a game-changing way of teaching ASL.
    pkcable, KermEd and EgoAnt like this.
    06-17-2017 07:32 PM
    The first person that comes to mind is @KermEd and the second is @EgoAnt
    KermEd likes this.
    06-18-2017 08:03 PM
    I love the idea, I do have a leap motion - it is a great tool with a huge potential. The other device I use periodically is the Myo.

Unfortunately I'm massively swamped - but I'd love to see more things like this get created.
    pkcable likes this.
    06-18-2017 08:48 PM
    I agree re the Leap Motion having a lot of potential. Unfortunately, many signs have one hand occluding the other, making it difficult for the device to see both hands. I don't have a mobile mount for mine, so I can't tell if the angle fixes the issue; that's why I came up with an idea that wouldn't require detection of the actual handshapes.
    pkcable and EgoAnt like this.
    06-19-2017 10:19 AM
    @Firegold21

I can see how the Leap Motion would get in the way. I really like your solution of having the hands sign for you as a training technique. It would actually be a pretty compelling educational game, if done right. We have a great modeler here, but we are also pretty swamped and wouldn't be able to work on spec.
    Firegold21 likes this.
    06-20-2017 12:26 PM
    Thanks for the reply. Can you give me an idea of what would be a reasonable compensation for a modeler for a project like this? I'm seriously thinking of looking into doing a Kickstarter/Indiegogo for it, so I could afford a team.

If modeling would be unfeasible for me, another option could be to record 360 video; through my mom, I have potential access to students and teachers, etc. in public schools that could help film training scenes. The only problem in that case would be access to a decent 360 camera rig.
    06-21-2017 06:03 PM
    Thanks for the reply. Can you give me an idea of what would be a reasonable compensation for a modeler for a project like this? I'm seriously thinking of looking into doing a Kickstarter/Indiegogo for it, so I could afford a team.

If modeling would be unfeasible for me, another option could be to record 360 video; through my mom, I have potential access to students and teachers, etc. in public schools that could help film training scenes. The only problem in that case would be access to a decent 360 camera rig.
    Do you have any friends in the Real Estate field? They use the technology often. I have a friend myself and we have often discussed it. When he sells a house, right before it goes on the market he has his VR guy make the videos and then they set up a page for the house. www.1234maple.com (not a real one) etc.
    06-22-2017 08:03 AM

That pretty cool man. First off, I'd recommend pitching it to some companies in that field, or I'm sure you could get funding for this kind of initiative (well, in Canada anyway). Crowdfunding might work, but you'll need to provide a non VR app (not that hard actually). There may be something like this already though.

There are plenty of decent bone rigged hands on the Unity asset store. What you'll need is an animator. It'll probably take 5-10 mins per pose, so it depends a lot on how many hand symbols you want. You could then use animation blending to move between them using an Animator Controller (thinking of Unity here)

So it would just come down to the symbols. You could get lucky too and find an asset pack with the symbols

Modelers and animators - I usually charge 50/hr. Other guys I know charge up to 150. But you could get a graphics art student for cheap too.
    pkcable likes this.
    08-10-2017 08:39 AM