There is an interesting article over at Develop called What needs to happen for 2017 to be the year virtual reality monetises?

VR is definitely something that is being pushed by hardware and software developers, and it's difficult for the public to really get a handle on how to justify the expense right now. In my opinion it's going to be pretty tough for most VR game developers to keep the lights on through 2017. It's a market that is being flooded with titles that are being pitched to a very limited user base.

I don't feel like it's all doom and gloom, though. Beyond what it says in the article there are a couple key factors I see as being integral to the success of VR:
    • Cheaper headsets
    • VR / AR combination headsets
    • Support programs for hardware and software developers

Cheaper headsets are coming, as are lighter and better ones. The focus on mobile is going to be key in 2017. Daydream is a decent step in the right direction. I also feel that having one device be able to do both VR and AR is incredibly important. Customers aren't going to want to choose between multiple devices, especially with something as bulky as an HMD.

And finally, a lot of hardware and software devs are simply going to need support through the next couple of years. I don't think VR is going to be as explosive as the transition to smart phones was, so hopefully devs can get the support they need to transition through the initial slow period.
    01-11-2017 11:39 AM
    I disagree. Its a simple fix really: VR Games do not need to be VR exclusive games. They can certainly have superior gameplay experiences in VR but there is no reason to make it totally exclusive. It sucks to say it that way but there you go. Problem of money solved. You have a much larger audience and people with VR can have a much more immersive enviroment. But is there any game in particular you can think of that absolutely would not work as a standard 2D game in some form?

I mean I think part of the problem is there is a lot of things that just are not compelling as a game and so there is this perception that spending 20-30 bucks for a VR only game will lead to inevitable disappointment. But if you make a good game whose experience can be enhanced by VR then you will probably make money. LIke Tabletop Simulator, DCS World, Elite Dangerous, etc.
    EgoAnt likes this.
    01-11-2017 01:30 PM
    Pjs, don't forget you're then spending more time and money developing for VR as well as for standard game play.
    01-11-2017 07:38 PM
    It may add some nominal costs whether a game is made for VR or not they likely cost similar to develop for. The difference is the target audience in the end. Marketing towards the large PC gamer base for example is made up of hundreds of millions of potential customers where selling 1000 copies at $30 is not a so far fetched concept. On the other hand selling 1000 copies of games at $30 for VR PC Gamers is a lot smaller where the audience may be just at a million between the Oculus and the Vive (And this is where the split right now hurts developers) is a lot bigger of a stretch.

At the end of the day VR or not your game will likely end up with similar development costs. So to me it makes sense to make your game sort of like Subnautica or whatever and sell it to everyone and then have VR support for those who want it. Realistically most First Person perspective games should be able to handle it with little issue.
    01-11-2017 08:50 PM
    I think the problem won't be for big companies which enough budget, people and resources able to switch their actual titles to VR compatible, but it will be difficult for small companies which are developing and need to create for all platforms from ground and with little resources.
    EgoAnt likes this.
    01-11-2017 10:51 PM
    I disagree. Its a simple fix really: VR Games do not need to be VR exclusive games.
    My issue with that is that once you add the really cool stuff into your VR game (like hand presence) it becomes a lot more difficult to downgrade it to a normal gaming experience. This has often been a problem with new console launches, the initial games don't feel like a big enough leap from the previous generation.
    01-12-2017 01:16 PM
    My issue with that is that once you add the really cool stuff into your VR game (like hand presence) it becomes a lot more difficult to downgrade it to a normal gaming experience. This has often been a problem with new console launches, the initial games don't feel like a big enough leap from the previous generation.
    Right but we are unfortuantely in the same point with VR where the hardware install base isn't there yet so you make adjustments to be more viable as a product. Hopefully as prices do drop these issues will go away but right now its going to be the norm for at least the next year or two.
    EgoAnt likes this.
    01-12-2017 05:35 PM
    The additional challenge too is a lot of what we add that truly maximizes the experience, is only valid for a single headset. So it needs not just a larger userbase but a commonality I think to unify them. It's a pipedream I know but hey, why not try and encourage it
    Chemy JMHT and EgoAnt like this.
    01-25-2017 03:08 AM
    The additional challenge too is a lot of what we add that truly maximizes the experience, is only valid for a single headset. So it needs not just a larger userbase but a commonality I think to unify them. It's a pipedream I know but hey, why not try and encourage it
    I wonder if the next set of tools for developers will be more focused on some multiplayer options, I don't actually know how we can do VR in multiplayer with the actual HMD and available tech.

The multiplatform is a problem too, developers can't simply do for all platforms at once unless the experience is very simple.
    01-26-2017 10:03 PM
    We have a new opportunity for PC VR developers!

We, at Virtual Raccoon Lab, are searching for PC VR developers and content creators who are looking to share their material on a large scale B2C platform.

In Q2, 2017, Virtual Raccoon Lab are releasing a new VR web platform where consumers can download games and experiences to play across all PC VR devices including: HTC Vive, Oculus Rift and OSVR.

You will be able to gain exposure from marketing campaigns which we will run so you can carry on growing your audience organically.

Twitter
    Facebook
    LinkedIn
    Last edited by zocster; 03-20-2017 at 11:16 AM. Reason: removed email
    03-14-2017 08:40 AM