Got a question for developers? Feel free to post here, no such thing as a bad question.

It might be too soon to post this on here, but as some of you know I'm a co-founder of a VR game company and we've been working around the clock for 8 months on some major game titles. Prior to that we created over 200 mobile titles.

I know that gamedev / mobiledev in general can be a mystery to many, and VRDEV even more so! And every conference we go to, I get a lot of questions.

So I thought I'd post this up here?

If you have any questions at all on VR development or Game development (htc vive, oculus, osvr, leap motion, GearVR, cardboard, etc) - drop a reply! There are a bunch of developers on here that would love to share their experiences with you.

I'll make sure no question goes unanswered.
    11-07-2016 02:30 PM
    What are some of the challenges VR/AR development has brought in terms of designing/developing an app?

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    11-07-2016 03:47 PM
    I couldn't understand why some Vive game's exceed the min play area requirement's when they could just add teleportation instead. At least as an option.
    I stumbled across a post on the steam forum's from a dev asking for help with setting up room scale boundary's for his game.
    Is the room scale process a major hurdle?
    I mean the whole process for making a VR game must be very complex in general but is Valve lacking in their support for devs?
    11-07-2016 04:17 PM
    I couldn't understand why some Vive game's exceed the min play area requirement's when they could just add teleportation instead. At least as an option.
    I stumbled across a post on the steam forum's from a dev asking for help with setting up room scale boundary's for his game.
    Is the room scale process a major hurdle?
    I mean the whole process for making a VR game must be very complex in general but is Valve lacking in their support for devs?
    Great question.

Out of the box, Steam doesn't do anything to really help you with roomscale. They draw an arbitrary room size that is different for every user. And it isn't easy to adjust a 3D room to their scale.

There is a toolkit we can install, however, that extends this. It provides teleportation methods for us (yay) at a cost of distraction, multipliers on the room size (so when you walk, you move twice as far) at a cost of realism, or when you near a boundry the room 'moves' at a cost of nausea.

The short answer imo though is they still haven't solved the room scale issue. And yeah SteamVR support doesn't exist. When I worked with their API last, I had to rewrite large chunks of it to make it perform better.

The bigger challenge, is as a developer, only Steam has the notion of room scale, and it accounts for ~1% of VR players. So most developers 'bolt it in' quickly and ugly. We lost about a month in development just perfecting the SteamVR experience but your average game company won't spend more than 3 or 4 days, unless they are SteamVR only.
    VirtuaTyKing and EgoAnt like this.
    11-08-2016 02:15 PM
    This isn't so much as a question but a request. I'm a veteran trying to change careers due to injuries.

I'm going to school for CS bioinformatics to make VR, I can get a scholarship to pay for everything to finish my degree but I need to get job surveys for VR Dev (justification for money) because my goal is to be a developer for hardware and software. So far getting in contact with anyone has been exceedingly difficult. If anyone could help me with this I would be forever grateful. Discussing here is fine if not email jonvw23@gmail.com
    06-29-2017 11:43 AM