Day one purchase for me as long as the price lines up.... 3 grand for the developer kit is way way too rich for my blood
    06-01-2016 04:58 PM
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...mixed-reality/ but this is exciting news! I think it is a good investment.
    06-02-2016 09:44 AM
    Microsoft has a history of making their developer kits expensive to help pay for support. What do you think a good price would be, given what we've seen so far?
    06-02-2016 12:44 PM
    It really depends on the device and the target market. Microsoft also has a habit of having an amazing R&D effort and then either putting out poor products or not releasing anything at all while sitting on a patent (or sometimes only working with enterprise customers). I don't think a consumer device could realistically be more than $1,000, or even a few hundred really, especially if it's designed to work with phones or something.
    professandobey and LezCronut like this.
    07-16-2016 03:59 AM
    I am really excited for this although I don't see a use for it in my life unless its able to do full VR in a future version. But as for enterprise and what it could do for so many businesses its limitless.
    LezCronut likes this.
    07-18-2016 09:22 PM
    Microsoft has a history of making their developer kits expensive to help pay for support. What do you think a good price would be, given what we've seen so far?
    My gut says that $500 or less would be the magic threshold to gaining any kind of mass appeal. I can't see enough people justifying the purchase for much more than that, not at first. Perhaps after more developers do interesting things with it, adoption rates and development will begin a positive feedback loop and more people will see the value in it. However, I also don't see how MS could be profitable on it for less than a thousand.

If they start out at over $1k, perhaps there'll be enough adoption in businesses to build enough familiarity in consumers for them to see the value in it. But I'd guess this strategy would take several years for it to become a household name, running more risk of more competition. I figure we're within a year of an impressive announcement from Magic Leap.
    09-08-2016 05:04 AM
    I am really excited for this although I don't see a use for it in my life unless its able to do full VR in a future version. But as for enterprise and what it could do for so many businesses its limitless.
    Product idea, clip on/drop down shade that blocks out your entire view past the headset, thus turning it into a full immersion VR headset. Granted, the screens on the current model probably don't have the field of view or resolution to make this work well. But the point is that it doesn't take much to turn transparent AR into full VR.
    LezCronut likes this.
    09-08-2016 05:09 AM
    I got to play with holo lens at work it's pretty awesome!
    10-16-2016 10:57 AM
    A 1000 dollars? For what would essentially be playing games and maybe making a few things marginally faster. I can't see the hololens becoming a mass product. If if had the logo of a certain fruit, fanboy craze could have carried it, but Microsoft simply doesn't have the same mojo...
    LezCronut likes this.
    10-21-2016 01:08 AM
    Is there any official information regarding the consumer version's price?
    01-02-2017 01:07 PM
    Is there any official information regarding the consumer version's price?
    Nothing yet but honestly I think their plan on the consumer front is let their hardware partners come out with stuff and support it on the software side. At least for now. In its current copnfiguration Hololense likely won't see any price cuts. And the new MS is not about to take a loss on a hardware simply to move it in volumes. Eventually they said a consuemr version will come along but I am betting you are looking at years on the roadmap for that to happen.
    01-02-2017 07:15 PM