I got a free Gear VR for buying an S7 Edge, and trying to find some great experience video/apps. I am not really into gaming. Most of the suggested apps are games. I am wondering if VR is really only good for gaming, and I should try to sell it?

Thoughts?

Cheers!
    10-13-2016 11:27 AM
    This is my question too. I don't do that type of gaming. Mine tends to run toward puzzles, solitaires, and king games I can play while doing something else.I like photography but I can't see myself doing anything that would require special equipment just to view.What other current or future applications are there.
    10-13-2016 11:33 AM
    Games are OK but I find just watching Netflix with headphones can be immersive.
    mrcrusha829 likes this.
    10-13-2016 12:27 PM
    exactly what i use it for primarily as well.
    10-13-2016 12:45 PM
    I second Netflix. Also watching movies in Oculus Cinema is fun.
    10-13-2016 01:11 PM
    The truth is that games and movie-like experiences are the current focus of consumer VR - but that's because they are easy to get into and understand and they have mass market appeal. Beyond that, though, there are many other things in progress as far as training and simulations go, and of course Facebook's interest in Oculus is around social first. Microsoft has an interesting take on what VR can be used for when coordinating with augmented reality users. .

Also meditation is becoming a big thing in VR, since it allows you to focus without distraction.

Honestly it's probably worth keeping just to see what else comes out over the next while.
    krisguy likes this.
    10-13-2016 04:57 PM
    I got a free Gear VR for buying an S7 Edge, and trying to find some great experience video/apps. I am not really into gaming. Most of the suggested apps are games. I am wondering if VR is really only good for gaming, and I should try to sell it?

Thoughts?

Cheers!
    VR is currently very new, and is focusing on Gaming and Videos for the consumer market simply because this is the most logical area to go into and also, its very easy for the consumers to use. As VR gets older and gets utilised in more ways, i think you will find your Gear VR more useful. Don't sell it.
    10-14-2016 01:57 AM
    I think it's a lot of fun using VR for street view
    10-14-2016 04:08 AM
    I think you can use vr for shopping, social media, and many other. But current vr is still a new technology and most people don't have it. As the number of users grow the number of uses for vr should grow.
    10-14-2016 04:17 AM
    Having watched the superb Notes on Blindness I think that there's plenty of scope beyond games for immersion VR.
    10-14-2016 07:25 AM
    Check out Within, an app for hugely immersive 360-degree perspective videos. Some of them are inspiring, others are terrifying, but most of them are just plain enjoyable.
    krisguy likes this.
    10-14-2016 08:34 AM
    Samsung VR has a ton of great videos, including many that are stereoscopic 3D in 360 degrees!
    10-14-2016 08:51 AM
    Check out Within, an app for hugely immersive 360-degree perspective videos. Some of them are inspiring, others are terrifying, but most of them are just plain enjoyable.
    Samsung VR has a ton of great videos, including many that are stereoscopic 3D in 360 degrees!
    Thanks! I will check these out. I have Titans of Space and Jurassic World: Apatosaurus that are really cool. I am looking for more like that.
    10-14-2016 09:09 AM
    Here's a list of a bunch of travel apps for Gear VR: How VR lets you travel around the world without leaving your house | VRHeads

As other people mentioned, Gear VR is great for watching movies and shows, whether from Netflix or any you transfer to your phone from your PC.
    krisguy likes this.
    10-14-2016 12:51 PM
    have watched a few videos and the experience was breath taking! gaming could be totally unreal on these things! eager to experience it!
    10-15-2016 06:22 AM
    Gaming is the biggest industry for VR to pick up. If gamers like it, then there would be more investment in VR and eventually education will also jump on board.
    10-17-2016 11:54 AM
    Don't forget about the cinema experience...I've watched plenty of movies in VR. With a great set of headphones and a comfy couch, I really don't find it necessary to visit the theater anymore.
    10-17-2016 05:07 PM
    It's also really cool when there are special events broadcasted in VR.

The first democratic debates were on last year, and a few weeks ago Altspace VR hosted the Presidential debates. There are also several social apps that let you hang out or socialize with folks while you are in VR.

There aren't tons of choices other than catching movies/television, or checking out social apps, but there are more options popping up every few weeks. A good question to ask yourself is what you want to be able to do in VR.
    10-17-2016 11:05 PM
    Are you talking about those available through "Samsung Picks" on the Oculus store or something different?
    10-19-2016 08:19 AM
    There's an app called Samsung VR that hosts a ton of video content, but it's technically only available in the US. (There are ways around that, should you care to look into it...)
    jrisch likes this.
    10-19-2016 08:22 AM
    I can see learning a new skill in the future. Wouldn't it be interesting to have a virtual classroom where you can share notes in real-time on the lectures?
    10-19-2016 08:25 AM
    OK, thanks, I'll look into it.
    10-19-2016 08:50 AM
    Games are good and some could be really fun but what I find myself using the GearVR for the most is movies, Netflix and Hulu. Nothing link sitting in a theatre to watch a movie! Or sitting on the moon... or Ant Theatre. I just wish the drift can get fixed sooner than later.
    10-19-2016 04:22 PM
    depends on the vr.

gear vr is good for games and movies. nothing that requires you to physically move except for your head.

other VR systems are used for training simulation also. Especially the ones that track your movement through physical space.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    10-19-2016 07:58 PM
    Not necessarily you can watch videos aswell as 360 videos using a vr headset
    10-20-2016 05:01 AM
28 12