I have an Amazon credit from my birthday burning a hole in my pocket and I'm considering using it to get the new Gear VR. I'm interested in the increased FOV and the data pass-through primarily.

Given that I would try to sell my current headset after, what do you think? Are those features enough to warrant the upgrade? Can I use the pass-through to connect it to my desktop somehow? Does the FOV increase make a noticeable difference?

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    11-06-2016 12:43 AM
    I haven't tried them, but I guess the 5 degrees difference, should actually be noticeable. At least based on my experience with some google cardboards. I hope that any 2017 VR headset will have a FOV of at least 110 or more.
    11-06-2016 10:31 AM
    The FOV increase is nice, but the big thing is the lighter weight. I can go for longer in the new Gear VR than the white one.
    vfor17 likes this.
    11-06-2016 11:29 AM
    Well, I went ahead and ordered it. Hopefully I don't find it's too little an upgrade, lol. Maybe I should do a side-by-side review ...
    11-06-2016 11:41 AM
    You may always sell the new one too, so there is no big risk.

good luck with the new one.
    11-06-2016 08:27 PM
    Well, I went ahead and ordered it. Hopefully I don't find it's too little an upgrade, lol. Maybe I should do a side-by-side review ...
    A side-by-side review would be much appreciated! Also if for whatever reason, you manage to get your hands on the Daydream view and get back to us with some comparison points by you, it'd be really great!
    11-07-2016 10:22 AM
    Don't expect any night and day differences. It's slightly more curved so fits my face better than the last one (somewhere between the last and S6 edition) - so I get less light bleed on the sides. For me that's worth the upgrade. Not to mention that it's future proofed against USB-C.
    11-07-2016 12:33 PM
    It's supposed to arrive tomorrow sometime. I won't be able to try it till I get home from work (another 12 hour day), but the next morning I'll definitely be able to try it out.

11-08-2016 12:14 PM
    It's supposed to arrive tomorrow sometime. I won't be able to try it till I get home from work (another 12 hour day), but the next morning I'll definitely be able to try it out.

Well, we are ready, how it is?

You can do a post with your review if you have the time.
    11-10-2016 08:18 PM
    I don't have the time for any sort of in depth review, but quick impressions:

It's good. I'm able to get a better fit than I was with the older version. The FOV is indeed noticeably higher, though I am still looking through circles. ;-) The adapters were easy to switch out, but I'm concerned about losing the dongle for the pass-through.

I also haven't had a chance to try the pass-through hooked up to a computer yet. One of my goals.

11-11-2016 04:45 AM
    The optics in the 2nd gen are MUCH better, much less distortion than 1st gen. I see a big difference. Get the new one.
    01-05-2017 08:57 PM
    The optics in the 2nd gen are MUCH better, much less distortion than 1st gen. I see a big difference. Get the new one.
    Oh, I did. I'm liking it better than the original; not only is the FOV higher (which helps a lot with that distortion you mentioned), but the touchpad is much easier to use. The forced directionality on the original touchpad bugged me, but the new one is much friendlier. It seems to get a better fit with the straps than the original one did as well; not sure if that's real or just my imagination, but it is what it is.
    01-06-2017 05:26 AM
    I have an Amazon credit from my birthday burning a hole in my pocket and I'm considering using it to get the new Gear VR. I'm interested in the increased FOV and the data pass-through primarily.

Given that I would try to sell my current headset after, what do you think? Are those features enough to warrant the upgrade? Can I use the pass-through to connect it to my desktop somehow? Does the FOV increase make a noticeable difference?

I would say YES go for it

5 degrees extra may not seem like a lot, but its more than you had which is a step in the right direction. I don't think it will make a big difference though. Its kind of like getting 5GB of RAM for you computer when you previously had 4GB. The headset is also pretty light which helps a lot. Sometimes with VR headsets i feel like I'm doing neck exercises at the gym lol.

I see you went ahead and ordered it! Hope you enjoy it.
    01-15-2017 10:08 AM
    I would say YES go for it

5 degrees extra may not seem like a lot, but its more than you had which is a step in the right direction. I don't think it will make a big difference though. Its kind of like getting 5GB of RAM for you computer when you previously had 4GB. The headset is also pretty light which helps a lot. Sometimes with VR headsets i feel like I'm doing neck exercises at the gym lol.

I see you went ahead and ordered it! Hope you enjoy it.
    He already got it Matty, he is making the review lol.

BTW I think the S8 will be a great device for Two reasons:

1. Gear VR
    2. Daydream

Maybe eve 3. Tango

Let see what will happen.
    01-15-2017 07:22 PM