Folks,

This is a PSA, or Public Service Announcement. I just read this blog by Jen Karner about battery drain some folks are seeing while using their Samsung phones in the GearVR. Apparently Oculus is aware of the problem and has released a software update that greatly improves battery life while using the device in VR. So the single best thing you can do is UPDATE your software! The Oculus app should prompt you to do this.

You can and should also monitor your battery during VR use. Take breaks, let the device cool down if it's heating up too much. Make sure you are not doing anything extra in the background like downloading anything, or tethering/hotspot, or anything that drains the battery, OTHER than the VR. Which no matter WHAT you do IS going to drain your battery somewhat. BUT if you do this software update it should help quite a bit!

Any other tips? Please feel free to post them.
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    02-13-2017 09:45 AM
    Another tip is to use the charging port and plug it in, if you're able. That way, it at the very least reduces the drain on the battery; if you have a quick charger connected, it could completely eliminate battery drain. It has the added side effect of keeping the battery cooler for longer as well.
    pkcable likes this.
    02-13-2017 10:13 AM
    We are looking into solutions for longer battery use as well and came across this item. I haven't used it yet, but it seems like this could make a big difference.
    https://mycharge.com/products/vrcharge
    pkcable likes this.
    02-13-2017 10:38 AM
    3 meter cords to plug it in with a battery pack is the best way that I have found to keep it going. Also, anything you can do to cool it down helps.
    pkcable likes this.
    02-13-2017 10:50 AM
    3 meter cords to plug it in with a battery pack is the best way that I have found to keep it going. Also, anything you can do to cool it down helps.

I have heard of folks using those headache gel packs to help cool the device. NOW you don't actually have to freeze it, nor should you, as this will introduce killer moisture, on to your devices, BUT a cool dry gel pack will still draw heat from your device.
    02-13-2017 01:07 PM
    Excellent tips!

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    pkcable likes this.
    02-13-2017 03:08 PM
    Some people build custom fans to put on their Gear VR to keep them cool. Or try to have an external fan blowing on them while they play.
    pkcable likes this.
    02-14-2017 02:58 PM
    Great, thanks for the tips
    pkcable likes this.
    02-14-2017 04:43 PM