Jen posted this thing on the blog this morning about using Passthrough mode on the Gear VR, and I had some additional thoughts.

First, I fully agree that you shouldn't walk around with these things on. Your "eyes" are off center and you absolutely will shoulder check a doorway at least once.

Second, the apps that let you use this mode for things like camera filters don't get nearly enough love. This kind of thing is AMAZING at a party, where you can pass the headset around and let people look through all of the crazy filters and take pictures. It's ridiculously silly but a ton of fun.

I'd love to see more apps use the camera, even if they're just for silly camera things. I'm not sure we'll get any fancy AR apps or anything, but it'd be cool to see more developers trying something new here!
    02-20-2017 01:15 PM
    Interesting feature for the Gear VR. Thanks for sharing.

Is Passthrough mode only available on Gear VR?
    02-20-2017 05:27 PM
    Yeah, it's only there through the Oculus software. Which always made me wonder why Oculus didn't put a camera on the Rift!
    02-20-2017 05:38 PM
    I use Passthrough sometimes to navigate to a better location and not have to take my HMD off. I'm very careful, move slowly and make sure to use my hands to help avoid walls, lol. That said, I haven't really used any of the camera apps, as I usually find them too gimmicky for my liking.
    02-21-2017 05:12 PM
    I use Passthrough sometimes to navigate to a better location and not have to take my HMD off. I'm very careful, move slowly and make sure to use my hands to help avoid walls, lol. That said, I haven't really used any of the camera apps, as I usually find them too gimmicky for my liking.
    Have you run into anything yet?
    02-22-2017 11:56 AM
    Have you run into anything yet?
    I haven't, no. I don't do it very often and when I do, I'm super careful about it. I've really only done it like 4 times total since I've had the Gear VR. BUT. I have really good balance and used to, for fun, practice walking, etc. with one eye closed.

Yes, I was odd that way.
    02-22-2017 12:50 PM