How are you to use Google Cardboard apps like YouTube when as soon as I plug the device into the headset, the Oculous app takes over? I don't know how to use YouTube or any other app as it doesn't seem to work unless it is inside the Oculous app. Which, doesn't appear to have native support for things like YouTube or any other app that supports 360 besides the ones you must purchase through their system. Please tell me I don't have to use the Oculous app for everything regarding 360.

I'm confused I guess; any help is appreciated!
    01-23-2017 02:11 AM
    How are you to use Google Cardboard apps like YouTube when as soon as I plug the device into the headset, the Oculous app takes over? I don't know how to use YouTube or any other app as it doesn't seem to work unless it is inside the Oculous app. Which, doesn't appear to have native support for things like YouTube or any other app that supports 360 besides the ones you must purchase through their system. Please tell me I don't have to use the Oculous app for everything regarding 360.

I'm confused I guess; any help is appreciated!
    Hi welcome to the forum!

Short answer: Because the Gear VR is "designed" to work that way I think you should insert the phone without plugging in the USB port or download one of the apps available to start Cardboard instead of Oculus and the last option is disabling the Oculus App.

The long answer should be:
    Step 1 – Setup your viewer profile

Google Cardboard requires you to scan a QR code to properly configure your VR headset to work correctly with the app. Here are the steps required and the QR codes:

• Open your Google Cardboard app
    • Click the gear icon in the bottom middle of the screen. This opens the settings dialogue box.
    • Click ‘Switch Viewer’
    • Scan one of the 3 QR codes below depending on your phone:

Google Cardboard Note 4

Google Cardboard S6 / S7

Google Cardboard Note 5

Step 2 – Choose your method:

Method 1 – CB Enabler for Gear VR

When you plug your phone into the Gear VR, it instantly starts the Oculus Home utility. This makes running Cardboard apps impossible because you can’t get out of Oculus Home. However you can download an app to disable this function.

• Install CB Enabler for Gear VR or any other app to allow Gear VR to work with Cardboard.
    • Open the app and tap on the Google Cardboard icon.
    • Open your Google Cardboard app of choice (Like End Space VR for Cardboard)
    • Insert your phone like normal in to the Gear VR
    • Enjoy your Google Cardboard app in the Gear VR
    • When you are finished with the Google Cardboard app, be sure to tap on the Gear VR icon to re-enable the Gear VR service.

Method 2 – Disable Oculus App

Follow this guide:
    [GUIDE] How to Disable Apps - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Method 3 – Don’t connect the phone to the Gear VR

Like I stated above, when you connect your phone to the Gear VR, the Oculus Home utility instantly starts. But if you want to use your Google Cardboard app and don’t want to install more apps, then simply don’t connect your phone to the USB port

• Open your Google Cardboard app of choice
    • Insert your phone into the Gear VR, but this time lift up the USB port so the phone isn’t connected to to the Gear VR
    • Enjoy your Google Cardboard app in the Gear VR

Lift up the USB port and insert your phone.

The downside to this method is the phone is not perfectly centered and causes the apps to be a little blurry. The phone is held in place but not as secure as when connected to the USB port, so there’s potential the phone could come loose and fall out.
    01-23-2017 03:59 PM
    I use the CB enabler method myself. It is the simplest way to make the switch happen.
    01-24-2017 08:43 AM
    Another CB enabler user here, works every time!
    01-24-2017 01:52 PM
    So at least one of my suggestions is verified by real users
    01-26-2017 09:22 PM
    Yeah. Those profiles don't really do anything.
    I use a Gear VR app that you just touch the icon to switch between Oculus and CB.
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    02-09-2017 05:04 PM
    CB Enabler is unavailable in my Google play store. Any suggestions?
    03-17-2017 07:02 AM
    CB Enabler is unavailable in my Google play store. Any suggestions?
    I'd suggest getting a cheap Cardboard headset if you can't get Cardboard Enabler. It's easier, IMO, and you don't run into problems with lifting the USB port (for example, damage to the port or the phone falling out).
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    03-20-2017 10:12 AM