Home VRHeads Q&A > Samsung Gear VR

Are controllers any use other than for games?

Asked: Oct 17 2016 | 10:48 am EDT 1930 Views 11 Answers View Best Answer

I rarely play games on my Gear VR. However, the touchpad on the side of the headset is a pain to use for navigating other apps. Would a controller be a better way of mimicking the touchpad functionality and what recommendations do you have?

Best Answer

Oct 17 2016 | 11:42 am EDT krisguy

I use the SteelSeries XL quite a bit for other apps. Some apps it allows for navigation, sometimes I just like having that A button so I don't have to keep holding my arm up.

More Answers

Oct 17 2016 | 11:41 am EDT pkcable

Of course it would be useful!
Oct 18 2016 | 6:03 am EDT jrisch

Thanks Kris, the SteelSeries XL would be justifiable if I were into gaming, but just as an alternative to the side touchpad it seems too expensive.
Oct 18 2016 | 6:12 am EDT jrisch

Most controllers I've looked at have what looks like a "D" pad on the left and a diamond of buttons on the right lablled "A", "B", "X" and "Y", plus a couple of joysticks, and various arrangements of buttons in the centre. How do these buttons/joysticks map the functions of the touchpad? Is it a direct replacement or do the apps have to support it?

Sorry about the newbie questions, but games and controllers have never been my thing in the past.
Oct 18 2016 | 4:01 pm EDT Theot

I've used my Moga Pro with my phone in the Gear VR, works very well.
Oct 26 2016 | 3:20 pm EDT mak916

Is Samsung planning on making another game pad? The old one is hard to find.
Dec 22 2016 | 11:25 pm EST steve4vols

Has anyone had any luck using a Playstation PS3 controller?
Dec 27 2016 | 11:47 am EST JDGAFFLIN

This. I didn't realize how much of a pain it was until I started using the SteelSeriesXL.
Mar 31 2017 | 7:35 pm EDT Blakey_nz

I know this is an old thread but try an ipega controller from ebay
Apr 08 2017 | 1:56 am EDT mallmagician

Yeah ipega is probably the cheapest way to get a good controller experience with the Gear VR.

It really depends on you. E.g. if you have an xbox, then the new bluetooth xbox controller would be a good choice. Also works on pc if your pc has bluetooth.

Steelseries is a solid controller, but personally I have gone through 3 of them due to issues with the triggers. I actually own 2 now.... as I had them replaced under warranty. But I would hesitate to reccomend them.

To be honest, outside of gaming, if you don't game with your Gear VR, I think the new Samsung gear vr controller would be a good choice.
Apr 11 2017 | 5:17 pm EDT JDGAFFLIN

Yep. With the release of the Gear VR controller, I think that's your best bet.