I'm interested in 360º video and photography and am waiting to get a VUZE 360º camera. I have an HTC Vive but would like to find an affordable and portable solution for viewing and sharing VR videos and images.

I'm wondering if a used Gear VR/phone combination would be a good solution for this. I'd also like to check out some Gear VR games but this isn't a big priority. Ebay has numerous used Gear VRs bundled with various phones listed between $250 and $500. (The lower priced options all have cracked screens!). I wouldn't be using phone or data service and wouldn't plan on installing a SIM card.

Are there any issues I should consider in buying a used Gear VR+phone? I assume I'll need to set up an account to buy apps, can a used purchaser easily do that? Will the Note 5 play hi-res 360º video adequately or should I stick with the 7 series?

Any insights will be greatly appreciated.
    04-07-2017 06:24 PM
    PM me. I have a Galaxy S7 edge and an original Gear VR I'm thinking about selling. I just picked up the LG G6. With a toddler running around, I really don't get much opportunity to use the Gear VR. Maybe we can work something out.
    04-08-2017 07:53 PM
    Are there any issues I should consider in buying a used Gear VR+phone?
    The first thing i always ask the seller is, why are they selling the device(s). As you said, the cheaper ones normally have cracked screens, which is why they selling it. So just find out why they are selling it first before you purchase. Might save you some hassles.

VRheads also has 'The Marketplace' where you can buy and sell various VR equipment and smartphones. Maybe have a look there as well.

Hope this helps in some way.
    JDGAFFLIN likes this.
    04-09-2017 03:25 AM
    Good call on the VR Heads marketplace. I forgot the had that forum set up here.
    pkcable likes this.
    04-09-2017 03:05 PM
    I'm interested in 360º video and photography and am waiting to get a VUZE 360º camera. I have an HTC Vive but would like to find an affordable and portable solution for viewing and sharing VR videos and images.

I'm wondering if a used Gear VR/phone combination would be a good solution for this. I'd also like to check out some Gear VR games but this isn't a big priority. Ebay has numerous used Gear VRs bundled with various phones listed between $250 and $500. (The lower priced options all have cracked screens!). I wouldn't be using phone or data service and wouldn't plan on installing a SIM card.

Are there any issues I should consider in buying a used Gear VR+phone? I assume I'll need to set up an account to buy apps, can a used purchaser easily do that? Will the Note 5 play hi-res 360º video adequately or should I stick with the 7 series?

Any insights will be greatly appreciated.
    Hi welcome to the forum, well for that price range you are showing maybe it's better to buy a new device like the Axon 7 + the Daydream headset and it shound't be more than $500:

ZTE Axon 7 $399.98

Google Daydream $78.99

Also getting an used device for a good price is always a good option too.
    pkcable likes this.
    04-11-2017 09:35 PM
    Here's what I ended up with: I found a Galaxy S7 in pristine shape (no screen cracks) plus a Gear VR on eBay for $350. There were phones with cracks on the back or corner (nothing that would be visible in VR) available for a bit less.

It was easy to set up an Occulus account and download a few free games and experiences. At this point I have to say this thing blows the Daydream VR out of the water just for the amount of content available.
    04-21-2017 06:07 PM
    Here's what I ended up with: I found a Galaxy S7 in pristine shape (no screen cracks) plus a Gear VR on eBay for $350. There were phones with cracks on the back or corner (nothing that would be visible in VR) available for a bit less.

It was easy to set up an Occulus account and download a few free games and experiences. At this point I have to say this thing blows the Daydream VR out of the water just for the amount of content available.
    It's nice you are enjoying the device, maybe now the Daydream is having a little more apps because all the cardboard apps, are now compatible with Daydream, so before Daydream Google already had a lot of apps (very simple apps of course) in the Play Store.

But for that price I think you are really a winner, also you can use your device as a Cardboard and getting those Cardboard apps too, win-win.
    05-07-2017 10:18 PM
    You can of course use all the Cardboard apps with a GearVR setup too. I hear a Daydream device gives you better tracking with them though. I occasionally use Cardboard apps with my GearVR but I don't really find myself wanting to do that very often.
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    05-08-2017 03:37 AM