Ok, so when I think of Virtual Reality I think of the Holodeck on Star Trek. I know that this might be ahead of what is out there now but when you are in a VR program, do you interact with the AI as if they were real people? I know that smells and touch might be a few years off.
    05-27-2016 01:16 PM
    There was actually a very compelling discussion on this very topic at GDC this year:
    GDC 2016 | Session Scheduler | Escaping the Holodeck: Storytelling and Convergence in VR/AR

It also raises some interesting questions aorund peoples subconcious decisions and wants in the virtual reality space... For example, do you want to see someone elses body when you look down? Or do you want to see your own body transposed in another persons clothing?

I think VR is the first big step. And one challenge we are all being faced with is the Swayze effect - where the user feels "ignored" when non-player characters aren't recognizing them. This is relatively unique to VR, because we are so immersed, that without one-to-one recognition, we actually start to become disconnected form the environment.

What do you think? Do you think we are getting closer?
    There was actually a very compelling discussion on this very topic at GDC this year:
    GDC 2016 | Session Scheduler | Escaping the Holodeck: Storytelling and Convergence in VR/AR

It also raises some interesting questions aorund peoples subconcious decisions and wants in the virtual reality space... For example, do you want to see someone elses body when you look down? Or do you want to see your own body transposed in another persons clothing?

I think VR is the first big step. And one challenge we are all being faced with is the Swayze effect - where the user feels "ignored" when non-player characters aren't recognizing them. This is relatively unique to VR, because we are so immersed, that without one-to-one recognition, we actually start to become disconnected form the environment.

What do you think? Do you think we are getting closer?
    05-27-2016 01:53 PM
    I own an HTC Vive and it does feel like a miniature "holodeck" experience. Though I haven't had a very convincing experience with AI, I do find myself overly aware of objects within the VR environment. More than once I have tried to rest on tables and chairs that aren't actually there.

It's not the immersive holodeck experience that TNG had us expect, but it is satisfyingly close.
    07-13-2016 03:11 PM
    That will have to be like version 5 of a haptic suit.. "New Feature: Built in weight support". Where it has a series of "something"s in them to support your weight in empty air when you are leaning on something in VR.
    07-13-2016 04:11 PM
    That will have to be like version 5 of a haptic suit.. "New Feature: Built in weight support". Where it has a series of "something"s in them to support your weight in empty air when you are leaning on something in VR.
    A haptic suit? Now that's an interesting concept. I'm sure somewhere, there's someone building one. But can you imagine, am NPC touches you, and the haptic suit gives feedback. Like squeezed your shoulder, taps you on the back, or even a punch. There's already "smart" sex toys, so don't thing the adult entertainment industry isn't already cooking up...let's say interesting...uses for VR.
    LezCronut likes this.
    10-15-2016 09:56 AM
    We are getting closure but I think we are a ways off to get the cost down on a fully immersive experience.... The complexities of being able to walk and physically interact with AI's within the experience.
    pjs37 likes this.
    10-15-2016 01:51 PM
    We are getting closure but I think we are a ways off to get the cost down on a fully immersive experience.... The complexities of being able to walk and physically interact with AI's within the experience.
    Raw Data gives you a holodeck experience, I believe. Check it out
    10-17-2016 02:12 PM
    That would be quite the trick.... I wonder if you would still have that feeling of "this isn't quite right"?
    10-22-2016 12:51 PM
    Yeah I think the hardest thing will be dealing with locomotion. I actually don't think we will ever really solve it truely. I think what they will end up doing is tricking our senses into thinking we are moving when we really aren't. But I am looking forward to that day we have our own little holodecks!
    12-10-2016 08:56 PM
    I strongly suspect the locomotion issue is compound. On one hand, I think its because our size doesn't automap to fit our character's size exactly. So the stereo base for 3D viewing is off a little. And the drag doesn't match right to our virutal head size. Also, I suspect because our heads are not exactly/perfectly round (like a ball), there is a difference in how our eyes track compared to just rotating within a field of view.
    12-19-2016 02:53 PM
    Yeah I agree it's a compound issue. Visually I think there are som issued to work out but I think it will get there sooner then later. For our movements though I don't think we will ever be able to duplicate motion ina way that feels compelling to an end user using simple hardware tricks like treadmills and harnesses. There is simply too much a human does to maintain balance while moving for us to trick. But who knows one day we probably will figure out something. Maybe like a neckbrace with magnets that trhows off our balance in a way that makes us feel like we are moving.
    01-02-2017 07:20 PM
    This is something I'd love to learn more about.
    04-09-2017 11:27 AM