I'll start by saying that this RPG would hold up even as a traditional (non-VR) video game, and is probably the most highly polished fantasy RPG available for VR right now. With an extremely unique and polished art style (Jim Henson meets Stranger Things) and compelling music, it is already leaps and bounds ahead of most VR titles. On top of that, it actually has a narrative (linear) and is a full feature-length game. In terms of gameplay, it is two parts Zelda and one part Balder's gate. Sword and board combat, some puzzles, typical fantasy RPG character building, and plenty of shiny weapons to find and upgrade. The only downside: it is an Oculus exclusive. I hope more games like this are made for other VR platforms. This game is definitely worth the $40 I paid for it.
    12-09-2016 09:58 PM
    That is exciting; hopefully it will eventually see a wider release. We really need more full game titles to prove its viability as a sustainable gaming platform.
    12-11-2016 08:42 AM
    I wonder if a similar game for Oculus touch would be a viable platform or whether it would be too tiring to be using your arms for such an extended time.Do you see any issues this the fixed perspective of this game? Also, if a game would be fine as a standard 2D game what benefit does it gain as a VR game?
    12-15-2016 12:36 AM
    That is exciting; hopefully it will eventually see a wider release. We really need more full game titles to prove its viability as a sustainable gaming platform.
    Unfortunately it is an Oculus Studios game, so I don't think they will ever release on another platform. Lucky for vive owners it works well with ReVive.
    12-24-2016 03:39 PM
    I wonder if a similar game for Oculus touch would be a viable platform or whether it would be too tiring to be using your arms for such an extended time.Do you see any issues this the fixed perspective of this game? Also, if a game would be fine as a standard 2D game what benefit does it gain as a VR game?
    Oculus touch would probably work fine, but probably wouldn't shine. I'm actually very excited for 3rd person games like this and eye tracking though. There is one scene in this game where an enemy behaves a certain way when it is outside your field of view that made me think "wow, eye tracking is going to be mind blowing".

Believe it or not, the fixed camera angle is awesome in VR. The 3rd person fixed view is very comfortable, and lets you engage in fast-paced action with a controller like you are used to with traditional video games without any discomfort. You would think that the view would break the immersion, but it is actually pretty cool. It is like sitting in the corner of the room, and is just as good at giving you a sense of the scale of the scene. This lends itself to some very breathtaking scenes, as well as some pretty terrifying ones. I think the sense of scale you get from the scenes makes it much more profound than it would be as a traditional 2d game.
    12-24-2016 03:53 PM