BTN (Fox Sports and the Big Ten Conference's jointly owned network) began to live stream games in VR last weekend with the contest between Minnesota at Nebraska. (Author's note: GBR!)

Press release:
    Saturday, BTN will become the first college sports network to produce a live football game in virtual reality. The network has partnered with VOKE, one of the worlds leading virtual reality (VR) providers, to bring fans an immersive view of the Minnesota at No. 19 Nebraska football game. In addition to VOKEs VR experience, the battle between the Gophers and the Huskers will be shown on BTN in primetime at 7:30 p.m. ET.

Were always exploring ways to integrate new technology into the Big Ten fan experience, said Michael Calderon, BTN Vice President of Digital Media and Programming. We see virtual reality and our partnership with VOKE as an opportunity to provide Big Ten fans a unique way to watch their favorite team from a whole new perspective.
    VOKEs TrueVR platform will utilize four 180-degree HD cameras to bring fans onto the field and into the action no matter where they are. Augmented graphics and live audio stream will allow fans to stay informed throughout the game. Fans will be able to access the TrueVR experience by downloading VOKEs GearVR app from the Oculus Store and using a Gear VR headset and Samsung mobile phone. The game will be available on the BTN channel within the VOKE GearVR app. There will also be live highlights posted in the app in near real time throughout the game, a first for a live VR broadcast. Additionally, VOKE will provide several headsets in the press box to sample the experience for media.
    We are excited to partner with the Big Ten Network to create the first-ever live VR broadcast of a football game by a collegiate sports network, VOKE Chief Commercial Officer Jeff Jonas said. The history, tradition and passion in the Big Ten is incredible and this partnership will introduce live VR to a rabid fan base, while allowing BTN to provide their audience with a fully immersive experience no matter where they are.

Saturday nights game can also be streamed via the web, smartphones, tablets and connected devices on the newly relaunched BTN2Go. Kevin Kugler, Matt Millen and Lisa Byington will have the call from Lincoln, Neb.
    - See more at: BTN to become first college sports network to produce live football game in virtual reality Big Ten Network

Since I am a Nebraskan and have a Gear VR, I gave it a run. Compared to the existing ones like NextVR and the current Fox Sports app, I felt that this Voke app did one thing right: let the viewer choose the camera they wanted to watch at the time.

Here's a view from camera 1:
    BTN gets on board with live streaming of sporting events.-com.vokevr.vokeviewer-20161112-184502.jpg

and from Camera 2:
    BTN gets on board with live streaming of sporting events.-com.vokevr.vokeviewer-20161112-184224.jpg

A camera in each end zone and on each 25 yard line, with the crazy scoreboard. I could only watch one quarter due to my phone overheating. But it was the closest thing to having a Hudl account (another Nebraska tradition).
    11-14-2016 01:07 PM
    Nice to have another angle to see plays near the end zone.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    11-14-2016 03:04 PM
    Not a big fan of football. Hockey, on the other hand...
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    11-15-2016 07:50 PM
    If the NHL gets a partner like the NBA did, NHL.tv FTW!
    11-15-2016 09:23 PM
    Well I was never fan of traditional sports, more extreme sports, so I guess we will be able to watch the next MTB races and stuff like that from the helmet of the riders and in 360, I did some of that with the GoPro VR videos and was great!
    11-15-2016 10:43 PM
    Has anyone had any experience watching any kind of VR streaming? How is the feeling of presence?
    I wonder if those cameras do a good job, since there is no place for editing when live streaming. I doubt it is very convincing.. is it?
    01-05-2017 03:44 PM