just read on thr playstation blog that the Proceesing Unit will not pass thru hdr. which means that if you want tk take advantage of hdr you will have to have a more complicated setup possibly a splitter splitting the ps4 output to the psvr PU and an hdmi selector switch to select ps4 direct or psvr PU input. both items would need to possibly support 4K and obviosly hdr.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    10-04-2016 08:19 PM
    Yeah... sucks for those with HDR... but the majority of players don't have it right now so it shouldn't be a huge problem for the foreseeable future.
    10-05-2016 12:13 AM
    considering the pro has hdr, its actually a stupid move on sonys part. its on par with not having a 4k bluray player on the pro. its this kinda of stuff that will create negative experiences that people will share and this affect rhe decisions of those waiting to see what happens.

its gonna have a huge impact on games that support hdr. people unaware of this will think hdr isnt working and once again give negative reviews.

10-05-2016 08:43 PM
    Well I am drowning in HDMI splitters, but I have no HDR display, so...
    10-05-2016 11:01 PM
    So.. what exactly are they charging $400 for?
    10-06-2016 11:38 PM
    Yeah... sucks for those with HDR... but the majority of players don't have it right now so it shouldn't be a huge problem for the foreseeable future.
    This is true enough, but there's also a technical issue here. The display tech Sony is using for PSVR is unique in its design, and supporting HDR through the headset would require unique tuning on that display. As it stands right now, Sony isn't doing anything other than following the existing HDR spec to allow for video on supported displays to be "better" in some ways. Tuning the headset is an entirely different ball of wax.
    10-12-2016 05:51 PM
    This is true enough, but there's also a technical issue here. The display tech Sony is using for PSVR is unique in its design, and supporting HDR through the headset would require unique tuning on that display. As it stands right now, Sony isn't doing anything other than following the existing HDR spec to allow for video on supported displays to be "better" in some ways. Tuning the headset is an entirely different ball of wax.
    Im not talkng about HDR to the headset, im talking about HDR to the tv. the box doesnt support sending hdr via the bypass, so lets say you drop 400 on a new pro and have a psvr hooked up to it, you will have to unhook the psvr box and connect directly to the tv to get HDR. Once again dropping the ball. first with non having 4k bluray on pro and then not supporting hdr bypass.

10-12-2016 07:25 PM
    Im not talkng about HDR to the headset, im talking about HDR to the tv. the box doesnt support sending hdr via the bypass, so lets say you drop 400 on a new pro and have a psvr hooked up to it, you will have to unhook the psvr box and connect directly to the tv to get HDR. Once again dropping the ball. first with non having 4k bluray on pro and then not supporting hdr bypass.

Whoops, reading is hard apparently. Yeah, I totally see how this is a problem.
    10-13-2016 11:44 AM
    This is unfortunate. I have an OLED LG 4k w/ HDR and will have to find a way to make this work.
    10-13-2016 03:32 PM
    This is unfortunate. I have an OLED LG 4k w/ HDR and will have to find a way to make this work.
    me too. though i do have a receiver that still has an hdmi port available so might just run a second cable to the ps4 and swap when needed.

10-13-2016 05:16 PM