Home VRHeads Q&A > Playstation VR

Non VR Games in VR?

Asked: Oct 19 2016 | 12:14 pm EDT 2431 Views 13 Answers View Best Answer

I'm looking at getting a PS4, wondering if I also get the PSVR can I play non VR games using the VR headset like a screen basically? Say my wife is using the TV but I want to play a game, can I just put the headset on and play any game or does it only work with VR games. I just think that would be awesome, put a virtual TV in front of me with any game on it so I can play it with headphones so I don't need the TV.

Best Answer

More Answers

Oct 19 2016 | 12:44 pm EDT rmvz3

I don't have the PSVR yet but I think that is perfectly possible. I've read about being able to see the screen when connected to Xbox One and Wii U so… yes. I'm looking forward to be able to use that way too.
Oct 19 2016 | 1:23 pm EDT Pentago

Can't wait for doing Division runs in PSVR
Oct 19 2016 | 1:48 pm EDT vredison

Here is my youtube link for configuring and running battlefield 1 in vr when dice said in statement " Do not expect anytime soon"
Oct 19 2016 | 2:25 pm EDT VirtuaTyKing

Should be possible to have a huge screen just don't expect it to appear like it's a HD screen.
Oct 19 2016 | 6:06 pm EDT SedahDrol

I'm looking at getting a PS4, wondering if I also get the PSVR can I play non VR games using the VR headset like a screen basically? Say my wife is using the TV but I want to play a game, can I just put the headset on and play any game or does it only work with VR games. I just think that would be awesome, put a virtual TV in front of me with any game on it so I can play it with headphones so I don't need the TV.
yes one person could be using the tv for something else while you are on the psvr. you can also technically use any input in your psvr, not just the ps4. sobyourbwife could be watching tv, and youbcould be playing an wii or xbox (basically anything with hdmi output.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
Oct 20 2016 | 3:26 am EDT rmvz3

basically anything with hdmi output.
Wow. So… you could plug it to the computer. I know the resolution is poor but I have to try it. One of my dreams is using my computer in VR with infinite huge virtual windows and hands and keyboard representation. Xcode VR FTW!!
Oct 20 2016 | 3:57 am EDT krisguy

I know my Vive does that with Virtual Desktop, and I love it. SteamVR also has a game theater mode too.

I don't see what would prevent Sony from doing the same thing.
Oct 20 2016 | 9:34 am EDT Theot

That's awesome, thanks for the input guys. I have to admit I thought VR was going to be a flop until I bought an S7 and got a Gear VR with it. Even then I only took it because it was free but since I had it thought I would try it out and its a lot of fun, I love Gunjack. I'm cautiously optimistic now, because I may not always want to do a "VR" game, but the ability to play a game using it as a virtual screen when I can't access the TV is a big selling point.
Oct 21 2016 | 1:13 pm EDT pkcable

Nope, what is it?
Online meeting place. Sorta like a virtual town hall, or auditorium. Ever seen "Ted Talks?" Think of that but in VR. But more than just, besides events with known famous people, you can just hangout and chat too.
Oct 21 2016 | 2:14 pm EDT Theot

Online meeting place. Sorta like a virtual town hall, or auditorium. Ever seen "Ted Talks?" Think of that but in VR. But more than just, besides events with known famous people, you can just hangout and chat too.
Huh, that's interesting. I can see that being used for business meetings and stuff.