I'm starting simple. Alcatel Idol 3 (5.5) and a budget, one size fits all phones headset. Fulldive looks to be a nice launcher to get me rolling...

Here's the question: should I get a BT Control Pad?

Will I even need it with such a basic setup? Are there great advantages or will it just be superfluous?

I saw another thread where they all recommend an Xbox style two grip controller. Not sure I need that and the thread is over in the Samsung Gear VR forum. Maybe that is overkill. How about a single grip pad with one joystick? Would that be more appropriate and proportional? Are they just not worth the effort at such a budget level?

Anybody have real world experience and willing to provide input?

Thanks in advance.
    12-28-2016 02:18 PM
    Some sort of BT controller will make your life easier when it comes to mobile VR/AR. I got a SteelSeries XL because I'm a hardcore gamer. There are plenty of cheap options that look like a remote on Amazon for 5-15 bucks that would work as a basic pointer.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    12-28-2016 04:22 PM
    The more I look at them, the more I think one would be useful.

LOL, how hard is it to "walk" without a joystick?
    12-28-2016 04:43 PM
    Great for playing games and just really a convenience that I wish i got the first time after using it for a while. Not sure about the style.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    12-30-2016 06:10 PM
    Yeah, I went ahead and ordered one off Smile.Amazon. Looks like it will show up on Monday...

I got this one.

Entry Level Bluetooth Controller?-51lnt3vq8wl._sl1000_.jpg
    Talkivr likes this.
    12-30-2016 08:04 PM
    Cool, I always have mixed feelings when i purchase the like off amazon myself (like its 50/50 chance don't get crap). Hope it works great for you.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    12-31-2016 10:39 PM
    Yeah, I went ahead and ordered one off Smile.Amazon. Looks like it will show up on Monday...

I got this one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51lNt3vQ8wL._SL1000_.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	3317
    Curious to know if got the controller. If so how is your experience to date?

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    01-10-2017 05:52 PM
    Curious to know if got the controller. If so how is your experience to date?
    I did get it...

• Instruction sets and videos are mostly in Chinese... You have to try and puzzle out most of the uses best as you can from limited documentation
    • Pairs well and has several modes
    • Comfortable and good size
    • Media mode and mouse mode seem to work quite nicely
    • Inside VR the triggers work somewhat, often times you have to hunt for the one that will work in the app you are in
    • Sometimes the intended action isn't the one you get due to the "hunt and peck" nature and you get a 2D popup (like volume) and it makes your eyes go all srcrewy
    • In 360 video it does not turn you when you try the joystick and that was the most useful function I would have liked
    • In Dungeon Escape VR the joystick does move you forward/back/left/right so I feel it does have some use there, which buttons do what is still somewhat mysterious to me.

Overall, for the price it is worth exploring and it gives me something else to tinker with. YMMV
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    01-11-2017 11:37 PM
    I did get it...

• Instruction sets and videos are mostly in Chinese... You have to try and puzzle out most of the uses best as you can from limited documentation
    • Inside VR the triggers work somewhat, often times you have to hunt for the one that will work in the app you are in
    • Sometimes the intended action isn't the one you get due to the "hunt and peck" nature and you get a 2D popup (like volume) and it makes your eyes go all srcrewy
    • In 360 video it does not turn you when you try the joystick and that was the most useful function I would have liked
    • In Dungeon Escape VR the joystick does move you forward/back/left/right so I feel it does have some use there, which buttons do what is still somewhat mysterious to me.

Overall, for the price it is worth exploring and it gives me something else to tinker with. YMMV
    Awesome! Thanks for the info.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-12-2017 03:06 PM
    I did get it...

Did you find any option to setup what any button do?
    01-16-2017 12:21 PM
    Did you find any option to setup what any button do?
    That would be App dependent. So far the only one was Dungeon Escape VR and the text boxes are very hard to read. They should have better contrast and appear larger. I had a hard time seeing how succesful I was there and got mixed results.

The controller does have certain button assignments as a default depending on which mode you are in.
    01-16-2017 12:46 PM
    While I don't have that exact remote, I have one similar. Its operation depends on the program you are in. There is a mode select that switches it into one of 4 different modes, and I find I need to switch often depending on what I'm doing. You'll need to get a feel for being able to switch without seeing the buttons.

Now if I could only keep my phone a bit cooler while it is in the headset, life would be good.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-30-2017 06:27 AM