I'm thinking of getting back in with an all-in-one.

Formerly had a cardboard clone paired with an Alcatel Idol 3. That was a bit of fun to start.

Traded up to an Alcatel Idol 4S Windows Phone with dedicated VR Headset. Definitely a better experience visually, but not enough support in the WP App store.

I'm NOT going to invest the $$$$$$$ in a console or computer + headset. I just want to dabble a bit more...

The all-in-ones seem to have made it off Alibaba and onto Amazon. I even see a couple that are 1440p so yeah if prices are dropping I might drop a few $. Obviously Play and YouTube access are key.

Anyone tried any of them. I'm kinda looking at this one ATM: https://smile.amazon.com/GenBasic-Qu...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Any hands on info would be appreciated for the specific unit linked or just for any all-in-one.

Let me know if you've actually logged time with one, how it went, specs, etc...
    11-29-2017 08:00 PM
    Hey bro!

Right now its mostly the 3rd party knock off variety that are available, BUT both Oculus and Google are working on Standalones (HTC also but not for the US), and these will be much better. I'm not sure if any of our bloggers have tried anything else. @James Bricknell @Cale Hunt @Russell Holly @Jen Karner etc. Perhaps they can give you a better idea of the landscape!
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-30-2017 09:18 AM
    Hey bro!

...Oculus and Google are working on Standalones...
    Sounds costly.
    11-30-2017 11:20 AM
    The oculus go is slated to be $199 so not bad really.
    RumoredNow and pkcable like this.
    11-30-2017 02:50 PM
    Thanks @James Bricknell now I have a name to search for. Yeah, not a bad price and I'd much rather stay away from a Google branded anything at this point.
    pkcable and James Bricknell like this.
    11-30-2017 04:34 PM
    Oh wait, FB owns Oculus. Sad that I'd rather trust the Chinese commu-apitalists. Don't want Zuckerburg knowing anything about me, period.
    pkcable likes this.
    11-30-2017 04:38 PM
    So does anyone know anything about this Android 5.0 based Nibiru OS that goes into the Chinese All-in-Ones?
    12-02-2017 08:48 AM
    LOL, the site's taboola advert plug-in is pushing the GenBasic all-in-one I linked in the OP.

Anybody Tried an All-in-One???-capture.jpg
    12-03-2017 08:58 AM
    Guess I'll find out more first hand. Found a current gen all-in-one GenBasic on eBay for $134.75 shipped, BNIB (open box). Arrives in a couple of days.

If anyone else is curious a seller with a 99.7% rating has a used previous gen model of the GenBasic for $89 + $13.95 shipping. Looks previous gen to me because blue strip on the bottom of the face plate (instead of orange) and no HDMI-in port. The company claims to be update concientious... YMMV
    http://forums.vrheads.com/e?link=htt...token=csuY7krC

Here is more on GenBasic: Home - GenBasic™

What's Included
    • Quad HD Android All-In-One Virtual Reality Headset - HXSD Edition
    • 3 Point Headset Strap
    • 3 Feet HDMI to Mini HDMI Cable
    • USB Type A to MicroUSB Cable
    • US 5V 2A Power Adapter
    • User Guide

Hardware Specification
    • 5.5" Quad HD 2560x1440 75Hz Low Latency LCD Display
    • Integrated Dimensional Audio System
    • Rockchip RK3288 - Quad Core ARM Cortex-A17 @ 1.8GHz and Mali-T764 @ 600MHz
    • 2GB DDR3 RAM
    • 16GB eMMC with expandable MicroSD card storage
    • 4K H.265, H.264 Hardware Decoder
    • 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n WiFi
    • Bluetooth 4.0
    • HDMI Input (1080P)
    • USB 2.0 Type A Host Port
    • 3.7V 4000mAH Battery (2-4H Battery Life)

Optical Specification
    • Extra Large 40mm Blue Reflective Low Dispersion Aspheric Glass Lens Element
    • 110° Field of View (FOV)
    • Per Eye Adjustable Pupillary Distance
    • Adjustable Focus/Display Distance
    • Compensates for Myopia/Nearsightedness up to -6.00
    • Replaceable Lens

Software Specification
    • Android Lollipop OS with Nibiru VR System
    • Google Play Store

And more on Nibiru: Nibiru-Tech·Change
    pkcable likes this.
    12-04-2017 01:32 PM
    If I could put in my two cents... The Oculus Go would be the one I would select. I have always said the VR experiences on Gear VR have been far and away the best and most immersive, and Go is very similar to the Samsung Gear VR setup.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    12-05-2017 10:36 AM
    Just can't do Oculus for political reasons because, Facebook.

I'm sure for most people it would be a viable choice. For me it would be a betrayal of principles. I'm staunchly anti-social-media and less likely to change every day when I read news about their manipulations and machinations. As I stated above, I don't want Zuckerburg and his ilk knowing anything about my activities, period. They have nothing yet and I'm not about to start feeding them.
    mitch5280 likes this.
    12-05-2017 04:45 PM
    Just can't do Oculus for political reasons because, Facebook.

I'm sure for most people it would be a viable choice. For me it would be a betrayal of principles. I'm staunchly anti-social-media and less likely to change every day when I read news about their manipulations and machinations. As I stated above, I don't want Zuckerburg and his ilk knowing anything about my activities, period. They have nothing yet and I'm not about to start feeding them.
    Sorta like this?.....

RumoredNow likes this.
    12-06-2017 01:33 PM
    Sorta like this?.....
    Yeah, that's part of it.

But then add all the social engineering experiments. And the moralizing.
    12-06-2017 07:48 PM