I have yet to invest in any VR products, mainly because I don't want to buy first gen stuff. Is it worth to buy now or should I wait?
    05-27-2016 10:32 AM
    Well, this depends. I think if you want full blown VR via an Oculus Rift or HTC Vive then yes maybe waiting for version 2.0 and maybe a price drop may be in order. Those devices cost in excess of 500 dollars, and in some cases over 1000. Plus you need a beefy computer and often this means you must upgrade your system, OR purchase a new system. And a VR capable PC is NOT cheap, they generally cost 1000-2000 range.

NOW that being said there IS a cheaper entry point to VR and that is via a product like the Google Cardboard, or Mattel View-Master, OR GearVR. These devices are designed to work with your existing iPhone or Android phone. They can cost as little as 10 dollars, or as much as around 100 dollars but have an average cost of around 25. This is a cheaper and easier way to be introduced to the world of VR. You might want to start off with a 20 dollar Google Cardboard, and enjoy that for a year or 2 and THEN invest in a more expensive system once the second generation of the Rift or Vive come out. HOPEFULLY at a lower cost than around 800!
    Well, this depends. I think if you want full blown VR via an Oculus Rift or HTC Vive then yes maybe waiting for version 2.0 and maybe a price drop may be in order. Those devices cost in excess of 500 dollars, and in some cases over 1000. Plus you need a beefy computer and often this means you must upgrade your system, OR purchase a new system. And a VR capable PC is NOT cheap, they generally cost 1000-2000 range.

NOW that being said there IS a cheaper entry point to VR and that is via a product like the Google Cardboard, or Mattel View-Master, OR GearVR. These devices are designed to work with your existing iPhone or Android phone. They can cost as little as 10 dollars, or as much as around 100 dollars but have an average cost of around 25. This is a cheaper and easier way to be introduced to the world of VR. You might want to start off with a 20 dollar Google Cardboard, and enjoy that for a year or 2 and THEN invest in a more expensive system once the second generation of the Rift or Vive come out. HOPEFULLY at a lower cost than around 800!
    krisguy likes this.
    05-27-2016 10:55 AM
    I have yet to invest in any VR products, mainly because I don't want to buy first gen stuff. Is it worth to buy now or should I wait?
    When anything new launches I always tell people to wait for the 2nd Gen. This is where they improve on a ton of things that were not working in the past iteration. I think the current generation of products are pretty good and should last you a while. Especially the ones that depend on your phone since that will be improving all the time.
    09-10-2016 02:44 PM
    Is it worth to buy now or should I wait?
    This depends on a lot of factors. If you have a decent amount of disposable income, love being on the bleeding edge of things, and don't get motion sick easily - then it's 100% worth investing in the current generation of devices. There are already some good games (and some great games, even) and some of the experiences are things that can't be done in any other medium.

Just be aware that none of the current technology has any staying power, you will be turning over your devices every year or two for higher resolutions, better fields of view, more features, etc.
    09-12-2016 01:11 PM
    If you want
    10-13-2016 12:21 PM
    I've personally taken the wait approach. I figure Gen 2 for Vive or Oculus should hopefully come down in price and of course, newer features, bug fixes, etc.
    10-13-2016 12:27 PM