Home VRHeads Q&A > Off Topic Lounge

Time and VR, how far back will it go?

Asked: May 27 2016 | 9:22 am EDT 1048 Views 6 Answers View Best Answer

Ok, so I am a huge history buff and I understand that the possibility of having actual footage of the past (say 1800) isn't possible. How do you think we'd be able to integrate the past with the new technology of today? It'd be pretty cool to watch Abe Lincoln's speech but it look like a real person and not just a projection or watch the cavemen discover fire.

Best Answer

May 27 2016 | 2:06 pm EDT KermEd

I'd love to see that! I know there are some museum driven VR things going on right now, where there is a modeller and 3D team (usuallyusing Unity) creating historical 3D environments in virtual reality. Unfortunately, its only as accurate as pictures and historians of the time And we all know that history is often in the eyes of the victor!
Lloyd Summers | Cofounder of RedIronLabs.com | Immersive Dark Videogames (VR/Horror) | @kerm_ed

More Answers

Sep 14 2016 | 1:52 am EDT Matty

Ok, so I am a huge history buff and I understand that the possibility of having actual footage of the past (say 1800) isn't possible. How do you think we'd be able to integrate the past with the new technology of today? It'd be pretty cool to watch Abe Lincoln's speech but it look like a real person and not just a projection or watch the cavemen discover fire.
i don't think its possible to take a video recorded in 2-D and make it VR. Maybe I'm wrong but that seems like a ton of work if possible since you would have to create angles that were not originally there. That would be cool though.
Sep 14 2016 | 9:59 pm EDT Windowdee

I think it would be awesome to just be a spectator of historical events in vr, even if recreated by actors. For example Roman battles and stuff like that.
Sep 17 2016 | 9:08 am EDT Chemy JMHT

There is actually possible to convert a 2D video to VR, it may work at first as a 3D movie, then with a lot of work and some clever computer algorithms you can convert it to a 360 video, and finally with more work to fill the gaps it can be a VR experience where you will be able to walk around.
Oct 29 2016 | 10:59 pm EDT John States

I think the presentation possibilities of VR and AR are almost endless. Eventually, we will be able to stand in historical environments that look absolutely authentic or something more stylized to the presenters taste, Ken Burns comes to mind, and for younger kids maybe something more animated.
Nov 04 2016 | 7:14 am EDT Fran_MontoyaQ

The end result aren't glasses at all, it's contact lenses. AR will change the world we live in. If you think mobile phones have had a dramatic effect, you ain't seen nothin yet (buster).