If even 10% of this is true it seems like it was a pretty nasty place to work - unless you were a young party-hard male employee...

Upload VR Lawsuit

Obviously this is just one side of the story, but much of it seems like it would be easy for a court to verify, like the sex room at the office. Also, calling in the women to clean up after parties they weren't invited to? I get having staff that like to party, but if people don't want to party then they shouldn't be forced to, and they shouldn't have to deal with the aftermath.

Has anyone heard tales of this?
    05-16-2017 12:07 PM
    This doesn't surprise me. I have been losing faith in the integrity of people for the last year, especially when money is involved. I would expect that this will get settled because the plaintiff would get dragged through the mud if it goes to trial.
    05-16-2017 07:15 PM
    This is a shame. I don't know if it's true or not, but like you said, if even a tenth is, it's wrong. Like @krisguy said, though, I wouldn't be terribly surprised. I've heard the Silicon Valley area is really bad when it comes to proper treatment of female employees.
    05-16-2017 07:42 PM
    Wow I just read a little on that in one article and this is amazing, I think being "bad" is so well marketed that anyone who can and has no common sense will do it.

In the article I read I found this:
    "Some of the allegations in the suit include:

• Freeman made comments about Scott's appearance, according to the suit, letting her know she "was not the ideal size he likes in a woman that he is going to have sexual relations with."
    • Companywide emails described plans to secure "submissive Asian women" on a trip to Thailand.
    • Male employees pressuring female employees to engage in drug use, while also using drugs in the office.
    • The suit also describes a room in the UploadVR office where male employees would regularly engage in sex during the work day.

"

And as you said, If it's only 10% of this is true, is still very terrible.
    05-17-2017 03:21 PM
    Wow in deed.

At my job, I am fortunate to be working with an awesome team where none of this crap is tolerated.

Will be interesting to see how this will affect UploadVR in the future.
    05-17-2017 09:30 PM
    My personal experience with some of the Upload staff that has been implicated in that lawsuit would lead me to believe at least some of this happened.

The tech industry is still largely male dominated, and a lot of us don't really "get" why that's a big deal and needs to change. When you go from having mostly male friends through primary school to having mostly male friends in college to having a mostly male work environment, the most impactful female experiences in your life are your Mother and your sex partner. That's a nontrivial recipe for disaster.

While something on this scale would never ever happen at Mobile Nations, the company itself is still largely comprised of white guys approaching or beyond 30. There are more experiences in the world than mine, and looking for those other experiences shouldn't be as difficult as it is right now.
    krisguy and Cale Hunt like this.
    05-22-2017 02:26 PM
    This is why I wish more women would write about this. Living in a bubble is not good for any of us guys.
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    05-22-2017 02:36 PM
    Well said, Russell.
    05-22-2017 08:24 PM
    While something on this scale would never ever happen at Mobile Nations, the company itself is still largely comprised of white guys approaching or beyond 30. There are more experiences in the world than mine, and looking for those other experiences shouldn't be as difficult as it is right now.
    I don't feel that MoNa would have any problem because at least in the Ambassadors area you can see a lot of people from all over the world, I'm latinamerica and as far I know there are a few more, but black people, asians, indians and more are all over the chats and forums without any problem, I think that diversity probes MoNa is well balanced.

It's a group where I want to be in ten years.
    05-26-2017 09:20 PM
    My personal experience with some of the Upload staff that has been implicated in that lawsuit would lead me to believe at least some of this happened.

The tech industry is still largely male dominated, and a lot of us don't really "get" why that's a big deal and needs to change. When you go from having mostly male friends through primary school to having mostly male friends in college to having a mostly male work environment, the most impactful female experiences in your life are your Mother and your sex partner. That's a nontrivial recipe for disaster.

I really don't like how you make it sound like anyone in the tech industry can't respect women because there is a diversity issue. Even if "brogrammers" and other people like them exist (apparently at uploadvr too), most people I've dealt with in the industry aren't overtly sexist. There are still issues but the way these guys have allegedly behaved definitely doesn't represent the industry as a whole and I doubt there are many people at all who would defend these kinds of actions.
    05-27-2017 03:39 AM
    I think what Russell meant was that the lack of diversity of gender is a combo for disaster, and that lack of mostly women in the tech area is affecting more to those women.

I didn't feel it was referring to this as what is happening all over, even he mentioned that in Mobile Nations (a tech company which is kind of the mother of VRHeads) never happened or ever will happen is something to consider in the tech area.

I feel like party of the problem is a quick success and a lack of maturity and common senses.
    05-30-2017 11:32 PM
    I feel like party of the problem is a quick success and a lack of maturity and common senses.
    Yeah. It's REAL easy to get lost.
    05-31-2017 09:49 AM