Home VRHeads Q&A > Oculus Rift

What is Oculus Rift?

Asked: May 26 2016 | 2:37 pm EDT 1265 Views 2 Answers View Best Answer

I have heard my friends talking about this and I come to you guys on iMore when I need help with anything. What exactly is Oculus Rift? I know it has to virtual reality gaming but nothing beyond that. Thanks!

Best Answer

More Answers

Jun 29 2016 | 5:46 am EDT Fran_MontoyaQ

Invented by a VR enthusiast named Palmer Luckey, the Oculus Rift is a set of virtual-reality goggles that will work with your gaming desktop or laptop. After he debuting a prototype at the E3 gaming convention in 2012, Luckey founded Irvine, Calif.-based Oculus VR with Brendan Iribe, who became CEO. The two launched a Kickstarter project in August 2012 to sell prototype developer versions of the Oculus Rift, raising $2.4 million. Since that auspicious launch, Luckey and crew went to work refining the HMD, releasing several prototypes including Development Kit 2 (DK2), Crystal Cove and Crescent Bay. On Mar. 25, 2014, Oculus VR was purchased by social networking giant Facebook for a combined $2 billion dollars. Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said that the headset "has the chance to create the most social platform ever," though we don't know how exactly the website will utilize the Oculus Rift. In an interview with Polygon, Luckey said that Oculus VR will continue to operate in its Irvine headquarters, and will use Facebook's backing to create a better, more affordable product