I've been planning this for weeks now, but was finally able to take it for a spin this weekend.

Sweet, sweet portability-img_20170409_143039.jpg

This is the Oculus Rift with Oculus touch controllers running entirely off of the new Razer Blade laptop. The laptop has three USB3 ports and an HDMI port, which is exactly what you need to run this Rift configuration. This 14-inch laptop was basically built for this setup, and the GTX 1060 onboard handled two full hours of gameplay with no problem.

The best part of this setup is only needing one power outlet for the laptop. You can theoretically run all of this on the laptop battery, but by my math it'll only get you about 25 minutes of gameplay before Windows shuts off the GTX 1060 to save power. I have a battery backup that will charge this laptop when it's using the integrated GPU, but as soon as it flips to the discrete GPU it draws too much power and the battery shuts off. That means I could technically be 100% portable with this setup, but only in bursts.

I love that all of this fits cleanly in my backpack. I can quickly and easily take this rig anywhere and share with anyone, which is awesome.
    Firegold21 and Chemy JMHT like this.
    04-11-2017 07:38 AM
    You know, I need to upgrade my laptop (it has a GT640m) because is simply old and for the daily task I want to perform right now is not the best.

I was thinking how to get a VR ready laptop exactly for that, that way I will be able to show some more friends VR here and there

I actually saw this on Amazon:

And was wonder is there is one with enough room for a laptop, but I think any Big Laptop Backpack (I actually have one that fits a 18" laptop) will do the job.

PS: I'm jealous of you lol :P but I don't know why I think I prefer MSI laptops.
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    04-11-2017 09:25 PM
    You know, I need to upgrade my laptop (it has a GT640m) because is simply old and for the daily task I want to perform right now is not the best.

I was thinking how to get a VR ready laptop exactly for that, that way I will be able to show some more friends VR here and there

I actually saw this on Amazon:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

And was wonder is there is one with enough room for a laptop, but I think any Big Laptop Backpack (I actually have one that fits a 18" laptop) will do the job.

PS: I'm jealous of you lol :P but I don't know why I think I prefer MSI laptops.
    Hey are you the same Chemy from Vrtalk? After seeing that backpack, I absolutely need to have one
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    04-17-2017 02:53 PM
    I can't wait for their Santa Cruz prototype to go into production. Tetherless VR with the Gear VR is awesome, but obviously lacking in some respects, namely overheating, processing power, and no position tracking.

Santa Cruz solves all of that. The overheating can be much better mitigated against with an all in one unit,which also means they can afford to push mobile chipsets much harder (John Carmack has said that with the Gear VR, the bottleneck is thermal rather than available processing power). Happy days.
    04-19-2017 12:28 AM