I ordered myself a third Rift tracker and set it up on the other side of the room, so I could see what it was like to set things up Vive style. I've played two games that took advantage of the "room-scale" tracking and I know Oculus is planning on dropping the "experimental" tag soon, so I wanted to see what was up.

This setup process is a huge pain so far.

Oculus recommends you put the third sensor in a USB 2.0 slot instead of a 3.0 slot, which causes this tracker warning in the Oculus Console. If you try to use 3.0 instead, you get the same warning unless that 3.0 port is on a different board. None of it makes sense right now.

Once you get through the errors the tracking setup, the sensors have to be placed WAY more specifically than you have to when placing two sensors. The angle you have the camera pointed at matters A LOT and the setup will not go forward until you are in the exact location it wants you to be. For my office, that meant I couldn't use the same wall mounts I use my Vive sensors on, which was a real pain.

Once I finally got everything set up, the way the sensors are aligned made it so my active playspace is slightly SMALLER than it was with just two sensors, but I can in fact move around and enjoy the space without my controllers disappearing when I'm facing the wrong way.

I hope Oculus does some serious magic to make this third sensor easier to set up when it's out of beta, because right now the experience is not great at all.
    05-22-2017 02:51 PM
    I read this just a few days ago: Oculus Getting Serious About Room-scale VR, Dropping ‘Experimental’ Tag – Road to VR

I was expecting a lot of good thing from it, but I see the need for the next version is real.

I still don't have the touch controllers, a lot is going on here in Venezuela and I can't get it as easy as I want.

I wonder if they will also release some other accesories know that the third sensor will be the real deal for the room scale.
    05-22-2017 11:11 PM
    I finally got my three camera set up going. It works pretty well. My space is not exactly ideal for it but it works well enough. The one difficult thing is getting the front sensors far enough apart that it stops yelling at me I ended up putting one in each corner of my study and the third one in the only corner left (the other one is the doorway) seems to work ok though I notice sometimes it still looses tracking towards the floor I may try and elevate them all to alleviate that issue.
    09-24-2017 09:59 PM
    I finally got my three camera set up going. It works pretty well. My space is not exactly ideal for it but it works well enough. The one difficult thing is getting the front sensors far enough apart that it stops yelling at me I ended up putting one in each corner of my study and the third one in the only corner left (the other one is the doorway) seems to work ok though I notice sometimes it still looses tracking towards the floor I may try and elevate them all to alleviate that issue.
    Hi man, After these months, how is this working with the 3 cameras?
    11-25-2017 02:01 PM
    It works ok. I think I am still feeling out where I want these things placed ultimately and probably need to mount them on the wall for best effect. I do have issues with sensors losing my positio from time to time. The bigger challenge is leaving that much empty space in my room free of clutter lol. But overall it works just as well as the Vive does though certainly more picky I think. I wish we could blend the technology together lol.
    11-26-2017 10:14 AM
    It works ok. I think I am still feeling out where I want these things placed ultimately and probably need to mount them on the wall for best effect. I do have issues with sensors losing my positio from time to time. The bigger challenge is leaving that much empty space in my room free of clutter lol. But overall it works just as well as the Vive does though certainly more picky I think. I wish we could blend the technology together lol.
    11-26-2017 10:28 AM
    Duplicate post
    11-26-2017 10:29 AM
    I have some issues with the free space here too, but well that's the smallest of all, btw try to see your background software running and also try not tu use many extension cables or hubs for the USB cables.
    11-26-2017 03:37 PM