Hi everyone,

My name is mallmagician, and I have been a VR addict for some years now. I have been most active on the GearVR and Oculus sub-reddits as well as running some community initiatives such as a Gear VR Minecraft Realm for the community (now closed), and trying to pull people into the same multiplayer games together on the same days.

I am proud to have play tested a number of Gear VR titles for the developers, and feel best when Im giving back to the community a bit.

Recently I have got into VR development - and my first Gear VR game will be released in the next month or two. It will also be released on Daydream, and then onto Steam.

I am also responsible for GVRgb - Gameboy Emulator - you can find on SideloadVR.

I have recently been trying to win the competition organised by this wonderful website to win the S8 and new Gear VR. Being a current user - you may think I don't deserve the latest one - but I really need to get my hands on the new one to be able to build to its strengths with my games, plus I have a Tabletop Simulator style project up my sleeve for the new controller.

Anyway, thanks for reading,

Good luck to all in the contest.

Mallmagician
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    04-12-2017 10:35 PM
    Good Morning @mallmagician! Warm Welcome to the Vrheads forums.

Looks like I could learn a lot from you. I wish you all the best of luck with your upcoming VR game and in the competition. Beginners luck always prevails. haha
    mallmagician likes this.
    04-13-2017 03:57 AM
    I love GVRgb so I will personally thank you for all your effort in it Mall and especially how qukckly you were fixing and implementing things when requested on Reddit. I hope you win but only if its not me lol
    04-13-2017 05:46 AM
    Welcome to VR Heads @mallmagician!

Pretty impressive all the things you've experience with VR. Developing to boot!

How is you experience developing for the Samsung Gear / Oculus / Daydream platforms? You prefer one over the other?
    04-13-2017 07:04 AM
    Welcome to VR Heads @mallmagician! If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask!
    04-13-2017 12:43 PM
    I love Gameboy Emulator! Good luck
    04-14-2017 10:00 AM
    Welcome to VR Heads @mallmagician!

Pretty impressive all the things you've experience with VR. Developing to boot!

How is you experience developing for the Samsung Gear / Oculus / Daydream platforms? You prefer one over the other?
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. And thanks for those that are enjoying the Gameboy Emulator - I intend to revisit it soon and do some more with it. Just got to get my first game released first. Hehe.

Developing for the different platforms. Well, I'm quite new to developing, so my experience may not reflect what other devs have found. Having said that, I've spent some time with the Daydream sdk, Oculus sdk (for both rift and GVR) and the Cardboard SDK. Currently, I'm finding that using the Oculus sdk is easiest for me, but their online documentation can be a little messy. There are some funny little quirks with it too that become a time drain, or a learning experience- depending how you look at it.

Daydream and cardboard are pretty easy to work with in Unity after you've spent some time with the Oculus sdk. Very similar stuff there, but support for Daydream in Unity was a little slow to arrive (but it's there now).

I don't currently have a Daydream but one is en route from my brother in the UK, so I should be able to release gvrgb and my new game for Daydream in pretty short order.

I have tried Daydream before, and I have to say I do prefer the Gear VR. There are always going to be trade offs in mobile VR, but I feel that the right choices have been made on the Gear VR, whereas Daydream I think have prioritised form over function a little too much.

I am on the fence about the new remote for GVR, and have previously been critical of the Daydream controller. I do have both on the way to me, so will be able to at least cater for the remotes in my games, but I will also ensure I support regular gamepad too if appropriate.

Thanks.
    iThunderbirt likes this.
    04-15-2017 12:32 AM
    I'm a Gear VR user myself. I like the fact that Oculus is trying to get the mobile and desktop APIs as close as possible to make it easier for devs to port both ways!
    mallmagician likes this.
    04-17-2017 09:30 PM
    Oh yeah, they work really well together. I've not done a full port as yet to Rift, but its on the cards. Seems straight forward enough, especially as my first game is a Gamepad title.
    04-17-2017 11:22 PM