To my horror I noticed some fine scratches on my Vive lenses. Only visible when tilted at a certain angle when the hmd is bright. Not noticing them while wearing it yet.
    I'm aware I made some smudges with my eye lashes but I used expensive Zeiss lense cleaner and microfiber to clear that up. Baffled how the scratches appeared and even the mark from my lashes won't completely go. Darn I was so careful with it! Being this sensitive is stupid.
    It will probably be alright if I can't see them when using it but I'm a little OCD. While googling I found people suggesting to try polywatch and even Vaseline to smooth the scratches out.
    Others say they will destroy the lenses film layer. Well so much for the protection.

Anyone here have any experience trying these products?
    Last edited by VirtuaTyKing; 10-07-2016 at 11:52 AM.
    10-07-2016 11:16 AM
    That's not a good news, I worked with Zeiss and the recommendation is always "clean the crystals/glass/lenses only as last resource" that's because even the nicest peace of microfiber will eventually be abrasive.

Another thing is sometimes the dust is trapped in the microfiber and if you reuse it you will be possibly damaging the lenses.

There are some product to take the scratches away, but I'm not sure if any coming sells to the public, I never used any product to polish or mask the scratches (we worked with lasers and wasn't safe to do that).

I think the Vaseline option may work, because of not, taking a soft absorbent paper will take the Vaseline away.
    10-07-2016 11:30 AM
    Only been cleaned twice with a new microfiber avoiding using the same area of the cloth.
    Well after using it tonight I will know if they affect vision. I suspect they won't judging by last night so I will just live with it if it's not an issue. Rather than risk further damage. Fingers crossed.
    10-07-2016 11:51 AM
    I honestly can't see them with headset on and spotting them without it on is tricky. Only visible at certain angles. Strange but good.
    10-07-2016 06:15 PM
    It's because of refraction of light and the limitations of the eye, you really see in HD in certain part of your eye (fovea) and the rest is rendered by your brain, so if it's not directly in the center of your eyes vision it won't bother a lot.

I can tell you since I read this happening to you I decided to check very carefully when my family and friends are wearing glasses, I don't know if the VR has a spare store to buy the lenses.
    10-07-2016 11:05 PM
    That's interesting. I did figure that the refraction of light had something to do with it. Hence them only being visible at certain angles and lighting conditions. They are fairly central but I meticulously checked every eye angle, individually too. It's possible I saw one as a godray that shouldn't have been there but I will double check that. Even though If I have to keep looking for them then they really are a non issue.

Definitely be cautious of glasses from what I gather. I'm supposed to wear glasses for reading but they are not needed in VR for me. My dad said his vision was fine too.
    Well for the Vive it's very costly to get the lenses replaced. No way to get the lenses to do it yourself either I don't think. Although they are supposed to be installed in a dust free environment anyway.
    10-08-2016 04:00 AM
    Are you sure they are really scratches? Because any time its bright, I've noticed light collects at the bottom of the lens. And thats because of the concentric rings in the lens. Whats worse, is the light isn't always direct...if some light sources are out of your view, but just above you, they can still send reflecting rays to that portion of the rings...
    10-08-2016 11:18 PM
    Unfortunately yes. I get what you mean about that though. On further examination with the headset off only one really stands out a lot and the lashes smudge. I can confirm that it's impossible to notice any of it with the headset on though. Trust me I have tried.
    10-09-2016 05:35 AM
    I would also like to add that I probably have the most coarse hair in the world. My mum got a splinter in her foot when cutting my hair when I was young.
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    10-09-2016 05:43 AM
    Heh...believe or not I've done that to myself a few times. I got one of my beard hairs stuck in my gums once, it took me weeks of working at it with my tongue to get rid of it. I don't even bother to use elecetric razors..they tend to shred and dull and stop working when I shave.

I wish I had a better resolution to the lens scratches.. maybe the still the use to fill in scratches on cd's?
    10-09-2016 10:46 PM
    Damn that must have irritated.

Just one of those things. Some people have said that Polywatch makes them look new again. There's always that option. I'm mystified how they got there but in the end they are not visible so I won't treat them with anything yet. In a way now I don't have to worry so much about them getting little marks.
    10-10-2016 05:17 AM
    I've just checked mine and don't have any scratches and I wasn't particularly careful.
    Do you believe they could be there even before you bought the Vive, like a quality control issue?

Cheers
    10-13-2016 11:34 AM
    I've just checked mine and don't have any scratches and I wasn't particularly careful.
    Do you believe they could be there even before you bought the Vive, like a quality control issue?

Cheers
    It's possible that the stand out one was there already I just didn't spot it.
    10-14-2016 04:20 AM
    It's possible that the stand out one was there already I just didn't spot it.
    Exactly. Problem is that I doubt that you can replace it under warranty but it's worth the shot, if you just can't accept the scratches
    10-14-2016 04:22 AM
    Exactly. Problem is that I doubt that you can replace it under warranty but it's worth the shot, if you just can't accept the scratches
    If I could see it with the headset on I would fill the scratch in with tears. I might contact them just out of curiosity.
    10-14-2016 05:06 AM
    If I could see them with the headset on I would fill the cracks in with tears. I might contact them just out of curiosity.
    I would also do it.
    10-14-2016 05:08 AM
    I would also do it.
    It seemed they might help me but because it came from the US and I'm in UK they won't touch it even if I payed for repair. They would have to ship it back to a US address. Bummer but oh well. Polywatch might work but for now I'm just gonna leave it.
    10-14-2016 06:48 PM
    That's interesting, a kind of expensive product without an international warranty, now I even more worried about my HMD.
    10-14-2016 10:32 PM
    It seemed they might help me but because it came from the US and I'm in UK they won't touch it even if I payed for repair. They would have to ship it back to a US address. Bummer but oh well. Polywatch might work but for now I'm just gonna leave it.
    Can't you just buy replacement lens?
    10-15-2016 07:33 AM
    Someone tell me that microfiber clothe can have dust traps on them.
    10-15-2016 07:43 AM
    Can't you just buy replacement lens?
    Not as far as I'm aware. They are supposed to be installed in a dust free environment in any case. You can get prescription lenses that fit over though.
    10-15-2016 10:48 AM
    Someone tell me that microfiber clothe can have dust traps on them.
    It was a brand new microfiber. I also used a lenses puffer first. Best bet is to avoid contact with the lenses until it's absolutely necessary though. Avoid having lenses so close that lashes touch is also my recommendation. It's kind of hard to feel lashes touching though. In a way it's good news that the scratch doesn't show with headset on.
    10-15-2016 10:54 AM
    That's interesting, a kind of expensive product without an international warranty, now I even more worried about my HMD.
    Your not in the US then? Can't say for rift lenses but honestly It's not visible at all with it on. I can understand them not wanting to send US electronics to UK I suppose. I did mention that the headset alone is universal in my reckoning.
    Chemy JMHT likes this.
    10-15-2016 11:01 AM
    Your not in the US then? Can't say for rift lenses but honestly It's not visible at all with it on. I can understand them not wanting to send US electronics to UK I suppose. I did mention that the headset alone is universal in my reckoning.
    No mate, I'm not in the US (and won't be in the near future) my visa got rejected, I'm in Venezuela, here we don't have warranty for anything, I always send the thing to US, but I guessed in other countries a product like that should have International warranty.
    10-15-2016 07:29 PM
    That's a pity. Do you have friends there? Probably isn't worth it except if it stops working
    10-17-2016 12:40 PM