I have the Vive and I am ready for the next gen. Has there been any talk or plans for the next gen? Any spec rumblings?
    06-27-2016 02:31 PM
    One would think it's in the planning stage, BUT since the Vive JUST came out I highly doubt we will hear anything yet. I believe the Rift has already been changed from when it was just a developer model to what it currently is as a released product, but that too is of course in planning I'm sure for the next model. As information on upcoming models is know you can BET VRHeads will cover it!

VRHeads | Best VR Guide for Virtual Reality Headsets, Top Picks and How To
    One would think it's in the planning stage, BUT since the Vive JUST came out I highly doubt we will hear anything yet. I believe the Rift has already been changed from when it was just a developer model to what it currently is as a released product, but that too is of course in planning I'm sure for the next model. As information on upcoming models is know you can BET VRHeads will cover it!

06-29-2016 10:48 AM

This would be my best guess. If you want me to speculate/BS, the next one may just add some convenience things such as; better forward facing camera, lighter weight? DP home link etc. I would have to imagine getting a better resolution screen is on the horizon but would you think they would release it in the next iteration? I would not be surprised if they did, but I also would bet that they won't just because getting screens with high resolution and high dpi in these tiny headsets would be difficult to do. But again, complete BSing there.

Jeff

edit: Talking with one of the Vive guys yesterday at PAX (I think he said he was the head of Marketing and ecommerce.), he said to expect the Vive to release a few official 3rd party accessories for the headset in 6-8 months. Additionally, we will start seeing official 3rd party accessories trickle out over the next 6 months, sporadically. He told me not to quote him on the last part, would depend on where the 3rd party companies stand with their development etc, but 6-8 months is where we can expect some new stuff for it.
    pkcable likes this.
    09-05-2016 01:46 PM