I'm getting a Vive very soon. Just bought a new AMD based mobo/proc/vid card and I was wondering what is the best way to get the cubes working without drilling. I live in an apartment, so no-drill is the best option. I have a shelf system that is where I will put one, but the opposite corner has nothing there.

What should I do? Tripod with an extension? Bite the bullet and drill? What would be the best way to handle this?

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    08-22-2016 10:57 AM
    What should I do? Tripod with an extension? Bite the bullet and drill? What would be the best way to handle this?
    I actually had a shelf in the opposite corners of my room before I even knew what a Vive was, so I just put mine up on those shelves. You don't need to mount them at the exact boundaries of your play space, though - just make sure they can see the whole room, basically. After that you use one of the controllers to draw out your safe play space.

If the Vive I am using was actually mine I'd drill the holes, but since I'm going to have to return it eventually I thought better of it. If you are going to use tripods you'd probably want them to be pretty tall.

You could pretty it up a bit and grab a couple corner shelves, too. This ones on Amazon are cheap, but would probably even work with the cords:
    Lipper International 3 Tier Bamboo Shelf
    08-22-2016 01:50 PM
    Well I went ahead and mounted mine with a drill, but a tripod and ballhead mount seem to be the best way to go if you're looking for something temporary. Another great option is a pack of those sticky mounting pads, but you have to trust the product if you're doing that. I've also seen someone use some really strong velcro, but that can still leave a mark on the wall. As EgoAnt said, you just wanna get as much of the room covered as possible.
    08-25-2016 10:18 AM
    Russell Holly has a way using some kind of string?
    09-01-2016 05:08 AM
    Russell tweeted me a pic of what his mounting system looks like. Pressure mounts and zip-ties! very simple and solid.
    09-04-2016 01:56 AM
    - just make sure they can see the whole room, basically. After that you use one of the controllers to draw out your safe play space.

[/URL]

How well does the tether work? The one that helps if your room doesn't allow the two cubes to see each other. Right now my PC is in a room where this won't be an issue, but I am making considerations as to where I want to VR.

Thanks!
    09-05-2016 02:42 PM
    I used cheap light stands from amazon. makes moving them super easy. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005AYD9AY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    09-13-2016 03:24 PM
    I just popped them on top of the shelf where my monitor was...they aren't really mounted or secured at all. I've been using them for 3 months that way, and its fine..
    10-04-2016 02:36 PM