I find the results of this study very interesting. They use a VR set to simulate your legs walking and use robotic legs to actually do the walking for you. The idea is to wake up some of the nerve connections that didn't get fully damaged. No one will be walking from this, but it could help regain more function and every little bit helps with quality of life.

Here's the fluff article with a video. Paraplegics learn to walk after years with the help of virtual reality and exoskeletons ? Quartz

And the more detailed article. Long-Term Training with a Brain-Machine Interface-Based Gait Protocol Induces Partial Neurological Recovery in Paraplegic Patients : Scientific Reports
    LezCronut likes this.
    10-25-2016 02:58 PM
    This is absolutely incredible. My 36 year old cousin had a stroke and lost motion in her left side. She got some leg control back, but her arm is still more or less just hanging there. I'm hoping this kind of tech will hit mainstream. While I love the internet for publishing this content, it kind of sucks that we may never see it become a real therapy.
    10-26-2016 07:49 PM
    I find the results of this study very interesting. They use a VR set to simulate your legs walking and use robotic legs to actually do the walking for you. The idea is to wake up some of the nerve connections that didn't get fully damaged. No one will be walking from this, but it could help regain more function and every little bit helps with quality of life.

Here's the fluff article with a video. Paraplegics learn to walk after years with the help of virtual reality and exoskeletons ? Quartz

And the more detailed article. Long-Term Training with a Brain-Machine Interface-Based Gait Protocol Induces Partial Neurological Recovery in Paraplegic Patients : Scientific Reports
    I must say that this kind of thing gives me more patience with a lot of the resources that go into gaming and the like. It's not that I have anything against gaming, but when I see so much intense attention and so many resources poured into that area, when there are some really big problems that need solving it sometimes bugs me. But, then something like comes up and it's pretty clear that the technology they are studying wouldn't have been developed if not for the gamers, etc.
    10-27-2016 12:48 AM
    It does man, everything takes forever to make it to the market, if it even does at all. That's why I can't wait for quantum computing....if they can get it to work the way they want it too, it will significantly speed up R/D in every field and possibly create new ones.
    10-27-2016 02:20 PM
    11-16-2016 09:35 AM
    VR therapy is so powerful, and seeing doctors taking the initiative themselves has been amazing to watch.

Posted via the VRHeads App for Android
    11-16-2016 12:26 PM
    This is absolutely incredible. My 36 year old cousin had a stroke and lost motion in her left side. She got some leg control back, but her arm is still more or less just hanging there. I'm hoping this kind of tech will hit mainstream. While I love the internet for publishing this content, it kind of sucks that we may never see it become a real therapy.
    I'm sorry to hear about that! I didn't realise that it could happen to people at that age. I hope they recover eventually.
    11-16-2016 04:05 PM

Hey welcome to the forum!

That's amazing all the new features VR and AR are bringing to the Real world! also more than good and not only gaming as some may believe.

BTW

I'm sorry to hear about that! I didn't realise that it could happen to people at that age. I hope they recover eventually.
    I think you once posted something about it here: http://forums.vrheads.com/vr-news-di...ght=paraplegic

So it might be working pretty well if more and more info is appearing all over Internet.
    VirtuaTyKing likes this.
    11-16-2016 06:47 PM